1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

New Girl - season 1 thread

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Patrick Sun, Sep 20, 2011.

1. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

The line that made me laugh was when Cici said "That's dibolical" to Jess telling her how the girl said she wears alot of polka dots.
    I was wondering if I missed an episode or if they shuffled the episode order.

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Yeah, I had no idea where she came from.

3. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    "Wash a towel? The towel washes me! What next, you going to wash the shower? Wash the bar of soap? You got to think, man!"

Folks, I really enjoy discussing OSI here.

4. Stan

Stan Producer

First and only episode I've seen. I'm definitely a latecomer, but really enjoyed it. Always pick what looks most promising each season and concentrate on those. This completely skipped my radar. Will definitely be watching in the future, hope they do some repeats of early episodes like '2 Broke Girls' so I can catch up. I hope they pull a "Happy Endings" and give it a full chance, renewing it long enough for people to really get to know the characters. Looks pretty solid one some rating sights I read, so hopefully second season renewall isn't far away.

5. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Hated the pilot, dropped the show, came back Tuesday for Lizzy Caplan. Still not sold on the show, but she was terrific as always.

6. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Hated the pilot, but have caught a couple other eps that were tolerable. I am sick of every media mention of the show managing to somehow use the non-word "adorkable".

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Well, that Adorkable lead in this show will be hosting SNL next Saturday night.

8. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    I can't quite place a finger on this show. I often think it's satire of every other sitcom, taking tired concepts, regurgitating them, and then taking those concepts to the extreme of where they could go. And on that level, it succeeds. This week was definitely that.. the old sitcom plot of "too many in a rental" has been done a bunch of times, but damn, the way they brought the landlord in killed me. I was absolutely dying in the 3-way scenes with Jess fake dancing with "I can do this, I can do this" Holy cow.. it was hard to catch a breath in there, for that entire sequence from the dinner table spit-take with the homemade alcohol to the landlord coming out with no pants.. so over the top, but damn killed me.

9. Greg.K

Greg.K Cinematographer

Greg K.
    This episode was great all around. My favorite bit was the landlord matter-of-factly sharpening the broom handle into a point.

10. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    It's a very erratic show. I was indifferent about this one. But my cat has run away so I'm not in the greatest of moods.

But the show has enough oddball humor that I keep coming back. (In contrast, I've quit Mike & Molly.)

11. Stan

Stan Producer

Dave, seems like you and and I have similar tastes. Really enjoyed the early Mike and Molly episodes, but they moved into marriage mode way to fast. The secondary characters aren't to bad, except I despise Swoozie Kurtz. The only enjoyable part now is Mike's mother and dog Jim, who is really a Jill.. They really brighten up a pretty substandard show. The other cop and his grandmother are also pretty funny with what little time they're given. I don't think I can remember a show where the secondary actors steal every scene they're in. Time for some Emmy's for them, not the supposedly main stars.

12. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Pretty funny Valentine's Day episode. Go Schmidtty! Too bad they couldn't work in a Lizzy Caplan-Ryan Kwanten True Blood reunion...

13. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Quote: Originally Posted by Stan

Dave, seems like you and and I have similar tastes. Really enjoyed the early Mike and Molly episodes, but they moved into marriage mode way to fast. The secondary characters aren't to bad, except I despise Swoozie Kurtz. The only enjoyable part now is Mike's mother and dog Jim, who is really a Jill.. They really brighten up a pretty substandard show. The other cop and his grandmother are also pretty funny with what little time they're given. I don't think I can remember a show where the secondary actors steal every scene they're in. Time for some Emmy's for them, not the supposedly main stars.
    Swoozie Kurtz was the completely wrong choice for their mom. The sister is voluptuous, Molly is overweight, and Kurtz is rail-thin; it was visually distracting from the start. And then the humor quickly devolved to Two and Half Men Season 7 caliber; junior-high grade. Add in the depressing mom and I gave up last Fall.

Enjoyed this one. I like Schmidt's complex relationship with CiCi. I didn't see that happening back at the beginning. Nick's unraveled date at the legal firm, sharing champagne with the intern.

14. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

does anyone here watch Parks and Rec? Schmidt is basically a good-looking Tom Haverford :)

15. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    Nothing recorded this week on my pvr, hope I didn't miss something.

16. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
  17. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Another good episode, especially with Nick succumbing to charms of Dermot Mulroney.

"He smells like strong coffee and going to see a man about a horse."

18. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

From personal experience, I can say that Jess' advice to Nick about being mysterious by not having a cell phone does actually work.

19. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    "Now you fold that sweater, don't hang it."

New Girl has been erratic to me. I really liked it to start, and there's been some good episodes lately. Last night's was very funny -- my wife was giggling throughout. But I'm struggling with it more. I'm not sure I'll watch past this season now.

20. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Nick trying to fold it as he was rushing to help Jess was pretty funny.