What's new

International New Film Noir Box-Set From Indicator. (1 Viewer)

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
now back to the reason for the post, at the end of the newsletter it was an obvious hint that Columbia Noir Vol #5 was in the works. The question is now that they are also doing North American releases, if this one will be region free, and also if they have any plans to go back with Sony's blessing and rerelease the other 4 and some other titles for a North American audience?

That depends on the status of some of the films released in their sets. At least three of the films in Indicator's Noir Volume 1 (and at least one in Volume 2) are in the Kit Parker Noir Archive sets released through Mill Creek. Those sets are still in print, so if Kit Parker/Mill Creek still have an exclusive deal with Sony, Indicator wouldn't be able to release those sets in the US.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
was aware of the obvious, as i own those three sets myself, the question is how long that deal with Kit Parker films last, same as the Hammer Sets, that ended up going region "B" because of Shout releases, or the Fu Manchu set.

still looking at going region free and ending the stupidity of being left out of great releases.

classicscaper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jacob
Looks like they're sticking with the B-region locked discs for this series based on the latest announcement of Vol. #5: COLUMBIA NOIR #5: HUMPHREY BOGART - LE

I could see them releasing a few individual titles in the U.S., but at this point, I doubt they have the licensing capability (or the desire) to go through and re-release the past boxset editions for the U.S. market. It doesn't really make good business sense considering these are already "6,000 limited edition" and a good chunk of their U.S. audience has already imported some or all of the volumes.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I'm considering picking up one or two of these sets via the current sale as blindbuys.

I'm not a noir devotee, but do generally like most/all the better reviewed ones I come across and am casually exploring some more. Do y'all have any particular recommendation(s) w/ these sets (and maybe whatever other few noir titles) in their current sale?

At the moment, I'm thinking to start w/ Vol #2 since most of them star actors w/ whom I'm familiar plus it comes w/ some Three Stooges shorts (and it's on sale of course) -- don't think I've seen any of these titles before, but have seen some of their other noir works via the Criterion Channel (or a handful of BDs I already own). I could probably add another set if y'all think worthwhile for someone like me, especially given what seems like very attractive sale pricing -- their requirement for free (international) shipping is also very high (at £200), but I managed to cobble together a big enough order as this is my 1st time ordering from them, so would like to make the most of it...

Thanks, y'all, for the recs/advice!

_Man_

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
They did a pretty good job spreading out solid titles across the first three volumes. It's a shame #1 isn't on sale. #2 is a solid one to start with. I love The Mob, which is one of the most underrated films in the genre. #3 is great too as City of Fear and The Sniper are top shelf B noirs. #4 is the weakest as many titles are considered pseudo-noir, plus A Bullet is Waiting is in color. As for other Indicators on sale, The Big Heat all the way. One of the all-time greats with Gloria Grahame in one of her best roles. I picked up Samuel Fuller Vol 2 as it's quite cheap and both titles get good marks. They Made Me a Fugitive is also quite good (one of the more noteworthy British noirs). Lady From Shanghai is considered a classic but I'm not a fan of Welles and Lady is typical Welles.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Then I'll probably go ahead and add Vol #3.

Yes, definitely getting The Big Heat -- it was the number 1 reason I checked their sale at all and had been meaning to get it for quite some time. I already have the old Mill Creek BD of Lady From Shanghai, but for just under £6 (and free shipping), seems like a no-brainer re-dip.

Didn't see the Samuel Fuller Vol 2 before since it's not listed in the sale, but at that attractive price for double feature, sure, why not?

I was sorta debating a little about They Made Me a Fugitive, so guess I'll probably end up adding that too then...

Thanks!

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Well, guess I went a little nutz and shot waaay past the £200 free shipping mark for a big batch of 39(!) titles, including the Columbia Noir Vol 2 and 3 sets (counted as just 1 title each, LOL)... :eek::lol:

And I still have another big batch I'm probably ordering from the Kino sale plus another handful of WAC titles from the MovieZyng sale...

So much for trying to keep tighter control on my disc collection (and storage needs), LOL... :lol:

_Man_

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Indicator has now announced Volume 1 in a new series: Universal Noir! Coming September 19.

1655405380486.png

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
I already have Abandoned and Naked Alibi, and was recently going to pull the trigger on The Web. But Indicator does a bang-up job on these sets. Full restorations, extras galore, that 120-pg book. It's worth a buy for me. Especially since Gloria Grahame is pure candy in NA. ;)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I already have Abandoned and Naked Alibi, and was recently going to pull the trigger on The Web. But Indicator does a bang-up job on these sets. Full restorations, extras galore, that 120-pg book. It's worth a buy for me. Especially since Gloria Grahame is pure candy in NA. ;)
I seriously doubt these transfers are different than what Kino has released over the past year. I already have all those titles on Blu-ray so I’ll be passing on it.

Edit: Each of those six Kino titles has an audio commentary on it. I'll be checking to see if the same audio commentaries show up in Indicator's boxset. I just checked each title has a different audio commentary.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Indicator has now announced Volume 1 in a new series: Universal Noir! Coming September 19.

View attachment 141992

I already have four of those titles on individual Kino Blu-ray discs. I can't afford to buy a box-set for just two titles.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
damn this is tempting, but looking at the 6 titles, i already have a copy of each one already, Stateside releases by Kino, did the same check as Robert, at the Commentaries, where this packs a punch is the 120 page book, with extra information, bonus features. think I will hold out till someone else gives it a review.

Easy to Get (1947): documentary short directed by Abandoned filmmaker Joseph M Newman as part of the US Army’s ‘Easy to Get’ campaign on venereal disease.

honestly, the look on my wife's face, ( she works at an OB/GYN clinic at a military base) if I played that bonus feature, would almost be worth the VAT charge, and probably fall out of the chair laughing.

Last edited:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
honestly, the look on my wife's face, ( she works at an OB/GYN clinic at a military base) if I played that bonus feature, would almost be worth the VAT charge, and probably fall out of the chair laughing.

Americans shouldn't be charged VAT. Now, notice I said "shouldn't be"; there have been occasional etailers that don't remove the VAT. But, specifically, every time I've ordered anything from Indicator, the VAT has been removed.

At any rate, the...ah...extra extras make this package an attractive buy. But then, I don't have the KLSC releases for any of these films.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks