What's new

International Mexican Macabre/ Horror Box Set from Indicator/Power House (1 Viewer)

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I've always had a soft spot for the weirdly humorous visuals of the Mexican Horror genre. With the Santo vs the Vampier Women or The Aztec Mummy series of films, these always offer an entertaining time of amusement and laughs for all...even if not intended. Strewn with heavy Catholic undertones, crosses are a plenty!!
This new remastered box set from from Inicator seems to have al the bells and whistles, save no "Lucha" action. Indicator doesn't seem to go into too much detail on exactly what was done for these films, giving us only thew term "HD Remasters", maybe later they will embellish upon this once the title is out of pre-order and being offered, I quess we'l see.

My favorite of the bunch is "The Brainiac"....when the actor in the mask starts to blow inside the mask and inflating it, in Rage or Lust...I can never make up my mind on that point...I almost pee my pants in laughter...every time!!

Last edited:

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I wonder how much improved these will be from the ones released on DVD years ago by Casa Negra. Overall, I thought they were really nice transfers, although The Witch's Mirror had that weird section where the audio went from dubbed English to Spanish for a few minutes even though the English version was selected. Also will these be the versions with Spanish credits or the AIP versions with the English credits- K. Gordon Murray.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I wonder how much improved these will be from the ones released on DVD years ago by Casa Negra. Overall, I thought they were really nice transfers, although The Witch's Mirror had that weird section where the audio went from dubbed English to Spanish for a few minutes even though the English version was selected. Also will these be the versions with Spanish credits or the AIP versions with the English credits- K. Gordon Murray.
At this point "they Ain't saying"...The VCI Aztec Mummy box set were dirived from the K Gordon Murry elements. I know the English Audio was, from the Coral Gabes Fl studio. Apparently the Mummy boxset was lacking the first in the series, so the rights holder must be different...

I'd love to see a box set of the Mexican Sci-Fi Collection, with titles like "Ship of Monsters" and "Empress of the Moon". These are much rarer that the Santo/Vampire movies, and seem to shuffle the oversized head Monsters and dropped in Cowboy/Mariache songs and dancing...for no particular reason, LOL!!

Attachments

• IMG_1243.jpg
    IMG_1243.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1244.jpg
    IMG_1244.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1245.jpg
    IMG_1245.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1246.jpg
    IMG_1246.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1247.jpg
    IMG_1247.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1248.jpg
    IMG_1248.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1249.jpg
    IMG_1249.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1250.jpg
    IMG_1250.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1251.jpg
    IMG_1251.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1252.jpg
    IMG_1252.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 33

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I've always had a soft spot for the weirdly humorous visuas of the Mexican Horror genre. With the Santo vs the Vampier Women or The Aztec Mummy series of films, these always offer an entertaining time of amusement and laughs for all...even if not intended. Strewn with heavy Catholic undertones, crosses are a plenty!!
This new remastered box set from from Inicator seems to have al the bells and whistles, save no Lucha action. Indicator doesn't seem to go into too much detail on exactly what was done for these films, maybe ater they will once the title is out of pre-order and being offered, I quess we'l see. My favorite of the bunch is "The Brainiac"....when the actor in the mask strats to blow inside the mat and inflating it, I almost pee my pants in laughter...every time!!

What's Lucha action?

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
It does indicate in the announcement that:

• High Definition remasters for Black Pit for Dr. M, The Witch’s Mirror, The Brainiac, and The Curse of the Crying Woman
Yeah, I noticed the phrase, but what does that really tell us? One of the aspects of this era and genre is how dark they are, visually. I have dvds of some of these and in some scenes some of the detail is lost due to the darkness of the print itself.
I'm hoping that they undergo some decent cleaning and hoping that the elements available to them are workable.
Arrows'Caltiki was amazing when the final project was placed on BD. I had an old dvd of it and thar work done on it realy elevated it far more than the dark and faded dvd in the colllection. Maybe because it was /Mario Bava?
I was just hoping for more informantion "HD Remaster"....

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
At this point "they Ain't saying"...The VCI Aztec Mummy box set were dirived from the K Gordon Murry elements. I know the English Audio was, from the Coral Gabes Fl studio. Apparently the Mummy boxset was lacking the first in the series, so the rights holder must be different...

I'd love to see a box set of the Mexican Sci-Fi Collection, with titles like "Ship of Monsters" and "Empress of the Moon". These are much rarer that the Santo/Vampire movies, and seem to shuffle the oversized head Monsters and dropped in Cowboy/Mariache songs and dancing...for no particular reason, LOL!!
I'd like Curse Of The Doll People, The Vampire, The Vampire's Coffin, Bloody Vampire, Invasion Of The Vampires, World of The Vampires, Man & The Monster and the 4 Nostradamus titles. If this first set does well, maybe Indicator will put more of these out.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I'd like Curse Of The Doll People, The Vampire, The Vampire's Coffin, Bloody Vampire, Invasion Of The Vampires, World of The Vampires, Man & The Monster and the 4 Nostradamus titles. If this first set does well, maybe Indicator will put more of these out.
Bob over at VCI loves these cassic Golden Age Mexican Horror titles. He's the one that released Both editions of Doctor of Doom 1964 and again done in bloody color in the 1970s.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
These are apparently part of the deal between Indicator/Powerhouse and Permanencia Voluntaria. Here's the article that discusses this:

If it hadn't been for K Gordon Murray I woud never have seen any of these wonderfuly screwy movies...as a kid they would show up late at night on KTLA or KTTV the non network channels. Before Elvira there was a guy named Seymore that did his shtick and he would lampoon these Mexican wonders, along with movies like Attack of the Crab Monsters or I was a Teenage Zombie...total class act. :D

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
These are apparently part of the deal between Indicator/Powerhouse and Permanencia Voluntaria. Here's the article that discusses this:

Larry just in case you missed these VCI released these classics as well.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
It does indicate in the announcement that:

• High Definition remasters for Black Pit for Dr. M, The Witch’s Mirror, The Brainiac, and The Curse of the Crying Woman
Old remastered new remastered? 2K, 4K, 6K....OCN or interpostive or what are the source elements ? They seem to be specifically non specific in thier terminology...why?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks