What's new

International New Film Noir Box-Set From Indicator. (1 Viewer)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Indicator U.K have sent me an email stating they are going to release several film noir movies on Blu-ray disc and the first stage will be a box-set of Sony titles which of course means Columbia films. Some, like The Line-Up, are very familiar, some like Drive A Crooked Road and The Garment Jungle, are moderately well-known and some, like Escape In The Fog and Undercover Man, have almost no reputation at all.

Indicator's email suggests without stating outright that further non-Sony titles will be coming at a later date. This could be interesting.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Escape in the Fog was in the Noir Classics Archive Volume 1 Blu Ray. A couple of others are also on other Blu-ray volumes. The Garment Jungle was a solo release back in the day. I have it. Id like to get this set sooner or later. It's too bad solo releases have to take a back set, but at the same time, the packaging is really terrific !

Last edited:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
The Aussie label Imprint also has a Noir set coming out at the end of October. It also has The Garment Jungle, as well as another Columbia film, Framed. The other two in Imprint's set are Paramount films: John Farrow's Alias Nick Beal and William Wyler's Detective Story.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Indicator has now announced Columbia Noir Volume 2 for February 2021 release.
1605352200086.png

FRAMED (Richard Wallace, 1947)
711 OCEAN DRIVE (Joseph M Newman, 1950)
THE MOB (Robert Parrish, 1951)
AFFAIR IN TRINIDAD (Vincent Sherman, 1952)
TIGHT SPOT (Phil Karlson, 1955)
MURDER BY CONTRACT (Irving Lerner, 1958)

Release date: 15 February 2021
Limited Blu-ray Edition (3 x UK & 3 x World Blu-ray premieres)

Our second Columbia Noir box set takes a dive once more into the studio’s archives and the world of film noir – a world of undercover detectives (The Mob) and emotionless hitmen (Murder by Contract), a world where film is inspired by real-life criminal activities (Tight Spot, based loosely on Virginia Hill’s testimony against Bugsy Siegel) and real-life criminal activities are inspired by film (711 Ocean Drive, which attracted the unwanted attention of mobsters), and a world where Glenn Ford finds himself unwittingly embroiled in murder – twice (Framed, Affair in Trinidad).

All six films are presented for the first time on Blu-ray in the UK, with The Mob, Tight Spot and Murder by Contract making their world Blu-ray premieres. This stunning collection includes newly recorded commentaries on each film, assorted bonus materials, including six short films starring the Three Stooges, lampooning the tropes and themes of the features, a 120-page book, and is strictly limited to 6,000 numbered units.

INDICATOR LIMITED BLU-RAY EDITION BOX SET SPECIAL FEATURES

• High Definition presentations of Framed, 711 Ocean Drive, The Mob, Affair in Trinidad, and Tight Spot
  • 2K restoration of Murder by Contract
  • Original mono soundtracks
  • Audio commentary with author and critic Imogen Sara Smith on Framed (2021)
  • Audio commentary with author and critic Glenn Kenny on 711 Ocean Drive (2021)
  • Audio commentary with filmmaker and archivist Gina Telaroli on The Mob (2021)
  • Audio commentary with author and film historian Lee Gambin on Affair in Trinidad (2021)
  • Audio commentary with film historian Nora Fiore on Tight Spot (2021)
  • Audio commentary with novelist and film historian Farran Smith Nehme on Murder by Contract (2021)
  • Introduction to Murder by Contract by Martin Scorsese (2014)
  • The Guardian Interview with Ernest Borgnine (2001): archival audio recording of the much-loved character actor in conversation with Clyde Jeavons at the National Film Theatre, London
  • Interview with Peter Ford (2012): archival recording of the son of Glenn Ford discussing his father’s career with the Film Noir Foundation’s Eddie Muller
  • Swedes in America (1943): Oscar-nominated short film from Murder by Contract director Irving Lerner, in which Ingrid Bergman explains the influence of Swedish immigrants on the United States
  • Diary of a Sergeant (1945): documentary portrait of Harold Russell, the soldier who lost his hands during World War II and would later win an Oscar for his performance in The Best Years of Our Lives, and his rehabilitation, directed by 711 Ocean Drive’s Joseph M Newman
  • The Steps of Age (1951): dramatised documentary by Ben Maddow, screenwriter of Framed, demonstrating the challenges of growing old as seen through of the eyes of a retired widow
  • Caribbean (1951): documentary by the Crown Film Unit, contemporaneous to Affair in Trinidad, depicting the West Indies, British Guiana, and British Honduras
  • Six short films starring the Three Stooges, lampooning the tropes and themes of the features included in this set: Violent Is the Word for Curly (1938), Saved by the Belle (1939), Three Sappy People (1939), Idiots Deluxe (1945), Up in Daisy’s Penthouse (1953), and Hot Stuff (1956)
  • Original theatrical trailers for 711 Ocean Drive, The Mob, Affair in Trinidad, Tight Spot and Murder by Contract
  • Murder by Contract trailer commentary: short appreciation by screenwriter Larry Karaszewski
  • Image galleries: publicity and promotional materials
  • New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
  • Limited edition exclusive 120-page book with new essays by Melanie Williams, Ellen Cheshire, Simon Abrams, Kulraj Phullar, Tara Judah, and David Thompson; extracts from interviews with director Phil Karlson, screenwriter Ben Maddow, and others; an extract from Vincent Sherman’s autobiography; archival news articles, interviews, and reviews; new writing on the short films; and full film credits
  • World and UK premieres on Blu-ray
  • Limited edition box set of 6,000 numbered units

MORE EXTRAS TO BE ANNOUNCED
    All extras subject to change

Martin_Teller

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Teller
Murder by Contract is a must-have for me but the others are all middling at best. I'm not region-free anyway but I'll keep waiting for a stateside release of MBC.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Is this the first appearance of Columbia Three Stooges shorts on BD? Presumably from the HD restorations done for DVD waaaay back?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
My mistake, but aren't Indicator releases Region A too?

It depends. I have a few of the collection releases where they were all region and some that were only Region B. There were also ie. The John Ford Collection that were a mixture of all regions and B. I’m thankful that I am all region.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It depends. I have a few of the collection releases where they were all region and some that were only Region B. There were also ie. The John Ford Collection that were a mixture of all regions and B. I’m thankful that I am all region.
Allen,

I thought Indicator titles that are released on Region "A" release day which is always a Tuesday and they don't have that little warning label on them like all UK releases are Region "A"?

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Is this the first appearance of Columbia Three Stooges shorts on BD? Presumably from the HD restorations done for DVD waaaay back?
Spooks! and Pardon My Backfire were on a a 2017 TT 3D release of The Mad Magician. They are also on Powerhouse/Indicator's release of The Mad Magician (which is Region ABC).

6 later Stooges films have been released in the US by Mill Creak on blu-ray in two separate releases.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Allen,

I thought Indicator titles that are released on Region "A" release day which is always a Tuesday and they don't have that little warning label on them like all UK releases are Region "A"?

Hey,
I just looked on the indicator/Powerhouse web site and the Colombia Film Noirs Volume Two is Region B locked. It says that at the bottom of the announcement.

I have pre ordered it, while I already have several titles on Blu-ray, the extras they produce and acquire are always top notch.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Allen,

It depended on the whims of the licensors. Sony had allowed their licensed titles to be region free until this year. No one (outside of Sony and Powerhouse) know why the change, but the change was made. New Standard editions of their Sony titles that had been region free in their Limited editions are still region free, but all new Sony titles since this past spring have been Region B locked.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
got the latest Powerhouse/Indicator newsletter vi e-mail, and some interesting things, looks like some 70's British Sex Comedies are coming this way.

now back to the reason for the post, at the end of the newsletter it was an obvious hint that Columbia Noir Vol #5 was in the works. The question is now that they are also doing North American releases, if this one will be region free, and also if they have any plans to go back with Sony's blessing and rerelease the other 4 and some other titles for a North American audience?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
got the latest Powerhouse/Indicator newsletter vi e-mail, and some interesting things, looks like some 70's British Sex Comedies are coming this way.

now back to the reason for the post, at the end of the newsletter it was an obvious hint that Columbia Noir Vol #5 was in the works. The question is now that they are also doing North American releases, if this one will be region free, and also if they have any plans to go back with Sony's blessing and rerelease the other 4 and some other titles for a North American audience?
I bought myself an early Christmas present when I purchase the four volumes in late November. I will purchase the fifth volume too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks