New Denon 3802 review

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bryan Acevedo, Dec 15, 2001.

1. Bryan Acevedo

Bryan Acevedo Second Unit

For anyone interested there is a new 3802 Review online. It's a good review of the 3802 (saying it is sonically superior to the 3801), but I am not sure this person is really that great of a source. He makes some comments (volume control setting) that seem like he doesn't really understand what he is talking about.
    Interested to see your opinions.
    For what it's worth, I have the 3802, replacing a 3801, and I can attest to the fact that the 3802 does sound better than the 3801.
    Bryan
    P.S. the 2802 Sound & Vision Review is also online.
    I got these links from ecoustics.com.

2. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

Thanks for the link Bryan. I think the review is a pretty typical newspaper like review. It's also a very easy review to do. The 3802 is obviously a step up from the 3801. Many people have commented on how the 02s are better than the 01s no question about it. What I would like to see in the review is how the unit compares to its higher end siblings and or other receivers in the price range and not the 3801.

3. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

4. Bryan Acevedo

Gil - to me, the 3802 just sounded warmer - like there was more depth and oomph to the sound. Male vocals sounded more natural, having more of a bass presence. The 3801 didn't sound bad by any means, but the 3802 just seemed like it had more impact. I really noticed this on my Dolby Digital Trailer DVD. The City Trailer, with the helicopter, the helicopter sounded more realistic - not as thin - just like the mid bass was a little more there. It always sounded a little harsh on the 3801, but the 3802 made it sound really good!

Also, if I had just a few minutes to listen to each, I probably couldn't tell the difference. It was only after listening to the 3801 for 6 months, every day, and then getting the 3802 and hooking it up to the same system, that I could tell the difference.

The 3801 does sounds good, but I think the 3802 just sounds more to my preference, in my setup.

Bryan

5. Arthur Legardo

Arthur Legardo Second Unit

That champagne colour looks sweet. [​IMG]

6. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

I've been looking at quite a few receiver reviews lately and it's becoming so common to pick on the remote as a "con". If there are no weaknesses just say so...I guess it's an easy way out not to upset the manufacturer.

7. Bryan Acevedo

Yeah - I agree with Mark - the review wasn't really anything new. I already knew that the 3802 (and 3801) were excellent receivers. I want to see some numbers on the 3802! I can't wait until S&V gets one of these bad boys. After seeing how well the 2802 did, I can't wait to see the 3802.

And yeah - that champagne color is sweet. Wish we could get that in the states!

Bryan