What's new

New Denon 3802 review (1 Viewer)

Bryan Acevedo

Second Unit
For anyone interested there is a new 3802 Review online. It's a good review of the 3802 (saying it is sonically superior to the 3801), but I am not sure this person is really that great of a source. He makes some comments (volume control setting) that seem like he doesn't really understand what he is talking about.
Interested to see your opinions.
For what it's worth, I have the 3802, replacing a 3801, and I can attest to the fact that the 3802 does sound better than the 3801.
Bryan
P.S. the 2802 Sound & Vision Review is also online.
I got these links from ecoustics.com.

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the link Bryan. I think the review is a pretty typical newspaper like review. It's also a very easy review to do. The 3802 is obviously a step up from the 3801. Many people have commented on how the 02s are better than the 01s no question about it. What I would like to see in the review is how the unit compares to its higher end siblings and or other receivers in the price range and not the 3801.

Gil D

Supporting Actor
For what it's worth, I have the 3802, replacing a 3801, and I can attest to the fact that the 3802 does sound better than the 3801.
Stop that! Your making me want to upgrade :D
I didn't sense any revelations when I auditioned the 3802 in the store when it first showed up. I also didn't see anything in that review that said in what area(s) the 02 was better than the 01. So besides having DPL2 what exactly is better?

Bryan Acevedo

Second Unit
Gil - to me, the 3802 just sounded warmer - like there was more depth and oomph to the sound. Male vocals sounded more natural, having more of a bass presence. The 3801 didn't sound bad by any means, but the 3802 just seemed like it had more impact. I really noticed this on my Dolby Digital Trailer DVD. The City Trailer, with the helicopter, the helicopter sounded more realistic - not as thin - just like the mid bass was a little more there. It always sounded a little harsh on the 3801, but the 3802 made it sound really good!

Also, if I had just a few minutes to listen to each, I probably couldn't tell the difference. It was only after listening to the 3801 for 6 months, every day, and then getting the 3802 and hooking it up to the same system, that I could tell the difference.

The 3801 does sounds good, but I think the 3802 just sounds more to my preference, in my setup.

Bryan

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
I've been looking at quite a few receiver reviews lately and it's becoming so common to pick on the remote as a "con". If there are no weaknesses just say so...I guess it's an easy way out not to upset the manufacturer.

Bryan Acevedo

Second Unit
Yeah - I agree with Mark - the review wasn't really anything new. I already knew that the 3802 (and 3801) were excellent receivers. I want to see some numbers on the 3802! I can't wait until S&V gets one of these bad boys. After seeing how well the 2802 did, I can't wait to see the 3802.

And yeah - that champagne color is sweet. Wish we could get that in the states!

Bryan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks