Review of Paradigm Signature S2 and C3

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Ben-S, May 24, 2005.

1. Ben-S

Ben-S Extra

First, let me start off by saying that I've been involved in home theater/hi-fi for over thirty years. I'm not easily impressed as I've heard much hype and BS over that time. With that out of the way, let me describe my new toys as being hard to describe, because they have no eccentricities, no abnormalities, no bloat, no exaggeration and no colorations of any kind. When they are played, there is simply music or movies. The is no awareness that I'm listening to speakers - they are that good. My home theater is a little over 2100 cubic feet. With only a modest receiver (Denon 3802 to be replaced soon) they can play extremely loud and clean. The C3 center integrates perfectly with the S2's. In fact, I had an arrangement with my dealer to swap it out for another S2 if I wasn't happy with it, but there's no need for that. In summary, perfect sound and seamless integration between the center and mains. Coupled with my SVS PB12plus2 sub, I have finally achieved virtual sonic perfection. I'll be getting a second pair of S2's for the surrounds in a week.

2. Gabriel.H

Gabriel.H Stunt Coordinator

If you don't mind me asking...since I am interested in someday getting myself some signature series speakers...what are the price on those?

3. VinhT

VinhT Second Unit

$1900/pr and $1500 (US)

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The Sigs are definitely the best speakers Paradigm has ever made (honorable mention for the Active series though). I did a side by side with the Studio 20 and S2 and the S2 is about the same difference again as there is between the Studio 20 and the Mini Monitors. They look great too. [​IMG] Midrange is clear and smooth, highs are noticably smoother than the Studios. Very good soundstage. Driven with an Arcam A80 and a CD73.

My nearly 3 hr audition also included the Joseph Audio RM7Si Signature also. I don't want to detract from your happiness, but I felt the RM7 was even better than the S2, yeilding deeper, yet still clear bass, more articulate midrange and even more natural highs. They were also "only" $1699/pr.

5. Ben-S

Ben-S Extra

Small world John. I auditioned those same Joseph Audio speakers you mentioned.[​IMG] After numerous comparisons I chose the S-2's, because to my ears, they had more of a "you are there" presence. Understand, I'm talking small degrees of differences. Both speakers are extraordinary. But ultimately, the S-2's were the right ones for me. For the record, I paid $3000.00 for a pair of S-2's and a C-3. Delivery was free.

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    That's a good deal on the Sigs!

I didn't ever feel the S2s had more "you are there" feel to them, but even my friend was second guessing himself after having decided on the RM7s. I felt the RM7s sounded better in particular with female vocals. There was more texture to instruments to my ears. That weird x-over they use has to be the key. It was a pretty close comparison, and we both agreed he would be happy with either. I don't think anyone would go wrong with either of them, because they are both excellent speakers.