What's new

Help me choose an amp... (1 Viewer)

ChrisPATT

Stunt Coordinator
I need an amp for my front 3 speakers. I will be using my current Carver 200x2 amp for the back speakers. I have Paradigm studio 100's in the front, with a Denon 3802.

My first thought was to purchase 3 Outlaw M200s, but I have the option to purchase a used B&K Reference 200.3 for about $1000. Is the B&K worth the extra $100?

I know the Outlaws have gotten good reviews, but any options on the B&K?

***One more thing... I can also get an Anthem MCA 3 Series II new for $800.00. How would this compare to the B&K? This would ideal since I can pick it up locally.

Thanks.

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
I would go with the B&K. MIght match better with the Denon, as i believe that the B&K is a warmer sounding unit that the Outlaw. Do now know for sure, as I have not heard the outlaw monos yet, but just going by the sound of the other Outlaw amps as well as the fact that the M200 are digital amps, which for the most part are a little more lean sounding. If I were you, I would try to take advantage of the return policy for the Outlaw amps. Purchase a couple, see how they work in your system, and then decide.

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
The Outlaw is class A/B (analog) up to 80 watts and class G (digital) after that. So it is both analog and digital, depending on how hard you drive it.

Yogi

Screenwriter
I have heard the Outlaws compared to the B&K and to my ears the B&K is warmer with a laid back character and a seductive midrange. IMHO B&K would mate well with Paradigm which IMO is slightly forward to neutral in character. It would be best if you could listen to both in your system.

My 2 green cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks