What's new

How to choose Speakers for Home Theater room ? (1 Viewer)

ahmadka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ahmad Najeeb
Hi everyone ... Let me just say I've completely new to all this, so need some help :) ... I've got a new house with a home theater room in the basement, and I need to choose some speakers/subs for 7.1 or 7.2 speaker system that I'm going to have there ..

I've heard there's some 'formula' I can use to determine the type/quality of speakers that I need (e.g. Watts, ohms, etc..), given the dimensions/specifications of the room in which they will be placed ... Anyone know what that 'formula' is ?

I know that the speakers & subs (especially the subs) need to be high end, so I'm willing to spend upto $2500 ~ $3000 on the speakers/subs alone, but then I'd like to avoid buying amps, if possible ..

Plus, I'm looking for speaker/brand recommendations too ..

So basically, need help & advice ! :)

Here is the layout of my Home Theater room:

V9x6L.jpg

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
High end subs cost $2500 by themselves. But I'd spend 1/3 on the sub itself. To maximise your budget, do you have a healthy used market?

ahmadka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ahmad Najeeb
schan1269 said:
High end subs cost $2500 by themselves.But I'd spend 1/3 on the sub itself. To maximise your budget, do you have a healthy used market?
When buying such things, there's virtually no upper limit to the cost .. Just because there are $40,000 projectors out there, doesn't mean I need to get it :) ... I mean, is a $2500 sub *really* needed/justifiable ? Seems *way* too much to me, honestly ... How much difference will there between a $1,000 sub and a $2500 one ?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Probably the best sub I've ever personally encountered is the Von Schweikert VR9S. It created 16hz with no fuss or muss.Past 25hz...each 1hz costs roughly $300.So all things being equal. 20Hz costs $1500.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
ahmadka said:
When buying such things, there's virtually no upper limit to the cost .. Just because there are $40,000 projectors out there, doesn't mean I need to get it :) ... I mean, is a $2500 sub *really* needed/justifiable ? Seems *way* too much to me, honestly ... How much difference will there between a $1,000 sub and a $2500 one ?
He's just being dramatic. $500-$600 has been the sweet spot price for internet direct subs that have the minimums youll want, good output below 20 Hz with a good amp. These are offered by Hsu and Outlaw and are designed by the same person. Everything priced below that will be a sacrifice in either power or frequency response and probably both. As for speakers if you dont object to buying used, as Sam mentioned, you can certainly do better than paying full price for new speakers. Post your city and state and Ill take a look at the used market in your area. Bottom line $2500 wont get you "high end" anything but if youre shrewd you can build a decent system with that budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks