Yamaha NS speakers. A review...(LONG)

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Luis S, Jul 16, 2003.

1. Luis S

Luis S Supporting Actor

Hey everybody,seems Im the first (but hopefully not the last ) to give these baby's a try. I fell in love when I heard them the other day and just couldn't resist.[​IMG] Ill make this review as short and sweet as possible. I wont get to technical as Im not THAT much of a geek ( [​IMG] ) but Ill try to give you guys an idea of what to expect. This review will be for the NS-777 (mains) and CS-444 (center).

Well this past weekend I felt the bug bite and it was time for an upgrade, what would it be? Receiver? Nah,my 3802 still rocks,no need to go for more right now. DVD player? Nope. Thats doing mighty fine as well. And since it would be difficult to go FPTV right now that only left one thing, Speakers. For reference Im upgrading from A JBL N-Center and N-26 mains. My receiver is A Denon 3802.

Now over the weekend I auditioned Klipsh,Mirage,Energy, and of course Yamaha.Ill go one by one and give a summery of what I thought.

First up was Klipsh. I have heard a great many thing about Klipsh on this forum including people who did not like the klipsh sound because they found it to bright and fatiguing. Well Im sad to say my wife (who btw went with me,gotta love a wife that is into HT) and I cannot tolerate the Klipsh sound either. What I heard was beautiful,but unfortunately the highs were simply too much for us. Otherwise the search would have ended right there. I listened to both the Synergy and Reference lines.

Next was Mirage,specifically the Omnipolar line. I was expecting to be blown away by these things after reading some of the reviews but upon listening my wife just looked at me like "that was it?" What a gal,I couldn't agree more. Sound was crisp,imaging was impressive but not not the end all be all I thought it would be, and the low end was severely lacking. I expected allot better but came away pretty disappointed.So on to the next one...

Energy. Gotta admit this was the best so far. Nice detail,bass was not that powerful but very good for a speaker this size.Not to sure what was it that turned us away. Now it could have very well been because of the dealers set up(doubt it but its possible) but they just lacked that certain fullness I was looking for. In spite of the fact that we liked everything else about them we still had a little doubt. And I don't act on anything unless Im 100% sure of it. So we went out to think about it...

Now what I forgot to mention is that earlier we were at BB looking for something to use my discount on. Well because of a post in this forum that introduced me to the new Yamaha's,I had to satisfy my curiosity. (Damnit you guys made me broke again! [​IMG]) So when I turned them up in BB's less than perfect listing room, my wife and I were shocked at how good they sound! The 777's were amazing and basically set the standard for what we were looking for the rest of the day.

Well at the end of the day we figured we had looked at quite a few speakers but we were drawn back to the Yamaha's. When we went back we had other speakers to compare to so here goes...

-Imaging. This blew me away. It was so good in stereo I couldn't wait to try it in an HT setting. The front sound stage was damn near perfect. Sound carried across the front smooth and precise. Absolutely wonderful. The JBLs were good,but not near this good. And with the center channel movies simply came alive. For my demo I used Gladiator,completely rocked. [​IMG]

-Highs. Nice,detailed but not too sharp. Crisp and easy on the ears. Instruments sound as you'd expect if you were at a recording session yourself. Sweet.

-Bass.Very impressed with the tight bass these towers put out. Very surprised at its output at high volumes as well no distortion at all. Not boomy or overpowering ,just nice tight bass. Very happy with the punch they're packing.

-Looks. I know it superficial but I couldn't help but notice the beauty and build quality these speakers have. Definitely a real surprise to see these in BB. If this is Yamaha's lower end or even mid level line I can only imagine their high end speakers! [​IMG] These baby's can be bi-wired and max out at 250 watts each.Though Im not particularly a big fan theres even Monster wiring for the crossovers.A nice touch I must admit.And we LOVE that piano black finish. Very classy. [​IMG]

Overall the Yamaha's just won us over in every respect. I don't usually read many speaker reviews since IMO its one of those things where taste can vary quite a bit from person to person. However I thought maybe by writing this Id at least get some out there to give them a listen and possibly fall in love with these speakers like we did. With the price I got on these it was a done deal. We couldn't be happier. Now I just got to save up for the surrounds and Ill be set. Im not in to much of a hurry as right now some N-24's are doing a good job but I plan on getting them soon enough.

So there you have my first review on this forum. I hope it was helpful in some way. :b If anybody has any questions on anything I may have missed Id be more than happy to answer them.[​IMG] Thanks for reading my review,off I go to play with the new gear!

Later,

Luis S

2. Luis S

Luis S Supporting Actor

Nobody else has listened to these? Give it a try and let me know what you think guys!

Luis S

3. Enrique Bonifax

Enrique Bonifax Auditioning

Hi Luis
    first of all, I´d like to thank you for that particular review about the NS-777 speakers, since Im planning to buy these babies.

I found a very atractive deal at VANNS, and since I live in Mexico Im only thinking on how im going to bring the speakers all the way to my place, but anyway, im thinking on buying a pair of NS-777, two pairs of NS-333 for surrounds, NSC444 for center channel and the YSTSW315 for subs, all powered by a HK AVR430, how do you like that?, i would like to hear your thoughts[​IMG]