What's new

Denon 3802 vs. HK 520 vs a spoiler (1 Viewer)

DonaldZ

Grip
They are now in the same price range, with the Denon "previously owned" and the HK available new at $559. The speakers are likely to be Axioms after conversation with my wife, with one of the SVS PCi subs.
Looking around at the reviews and searching the threads, each of the receivers seems to have its proponents. Neither seems to be particularly more sturdy than the other, or to have an easier setup. The Denon seems to be widely popular, whereas the HK seems to appeal to the musical crowd.
I think either would do as this is my first trip into a setup in years.
How about a used B&K 202 if I upped the electronics budget a bit? There was one on Audiogon recently...
Thanks! :emoji_thumbsup:

Leo_P

Second Unit
From what I've heard it seems the Denon is a capable receiver, but if I had the choice between a used 3802 or a new h/k 520, I'd go with the 520.
BTW, I'm totally biased since I own (and love) an h/k AVR520:b. Seriously though, I paid $650 for mine back in April and I'm happy with it at that price. For $559, I'd be all over that 520 like stink on sh!t.
Good luck.

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
I don't own either but have heard both w/Klipsch Reference speakers. My hat would go off to the 520, IMO it best the Denon for music and HT. Another great thing about the HK is Logic 7, it was my first time hearing Logic 7 when I heard these two receivers and I was quite impressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks