What's new

New ACI Sub !!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Tim Ranger

Stunt Coordinator
I've always thought the Aerial was the sub I'd want if I had a really big room and money was no object, this might be very terrific competition at about 1/2 the cost. BTW, that sure ain't an amp on a chip, looks more like the guts of a Krell or something similar :D

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
One more note on the watts. It takes doubling power for every 3dB gain in volume. In other words if it had a 1000 watt amp it would only play 3dBs louder. Good design will give you more than 3dBs and will cost less too.

dave alan

Second Unit
Mr. Dzurko,

Apparently, another excellent product to add to your lineup.

I can't wait to hear more details about this sub.

Congrats, and keep up the great work.

Dave

Mike Dzurko

Stunt Coordinator
Brian:

For around $5K, you can get the Talisman parts AND we throw in the cabinets! P.S., glad to help you get started, I hear you do great work :)

Chris:

The amp is a beast to be sure. It is actually two of the amplifiers we use for the Titan and Force in a bridged configuration. This is an extremely stable platform that has provided great reliability in the field for around 12 years now. 1000s of units out there playing tunes.
The only downside, with U.S. labor, they are expensive to build. However it is worth it to us. It wouldn't make much sense to sell the amps separately as they are "tuned" via a personality card specifically to the driver-cabinet
used. Without the personality card (also know as an attitude card), this driver box combo would have a Q of over 1 and and f3 around 40Hz. With the card, the Q is less than .6 and F3 at 19Hz.

Thanks to all for the questions, comments. Feel free to keep them coming. Have a great day!

JakubH

Stunt Coordinator
I just want to chime in as well here and agree with Brian - ACI offers great products and did the groundwork for today's crop of consumer direct companies. I built a pair of Opals from a kit about 6 years back, and still enjoy them every day of the week. I've taken them into local audio shops and they have bested speakers up to 3x the amount of money I paid.

Just because their marketing approach is not as aggressive as some of the newer companies, does not mean they deserve ridicule from those who salivate over power ratings on amplifiers. I'm sure SVS makes great products, and they may meet many people's needs better than ACI. That doesn't mean
they are not good products.

Personally, I chose not to go with ACI for my sub, because; a) my Opals get down pretty low as is, so I don't need a sub that will sound great up to 200hz, b) I already have a high-order external crossover, so the ACI filters aren't as big a selling point and c) frankly, their subs are out of my price range. That doesnt mean I'm going to second guess the decisions of others who have different priorites when it comes to featureset. It also doesn't give me license to attack the company because I am getting more output for less $$$.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Mike:

So for $5K I can get all the parts and you throw in the cabinets for free? Man, what a deal! :)

Jakub,

Very well said! I've always been impressed with ACI's products and with Mike personally. He is the one person in the A/V world that I have total respect for. He's built his company with practically no advertising. He never goes into "advertising" mode on the forums. And he is a big enough man to not respond to ridiculous statements from trolls. He is a true gentleman.

Mike even took the time to call me and speak with me for over an hour a few years ago. We really didn't talk about anything; just speakers and the A/V industry in general. But it made a lasting impression on me.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Truly a beautiful subwoofer. If my budget wasn't so strapped I'd have to consider it. That is a piece of work indeed.

EricKH

Agent
I own the Titan LE with the Jaguars. It is a great combination. Mike is a pleasure to deal with and his speakers are awesome

Tim Ranger

Stunt Coordinator
Eric:

Any reason you decided to go with the Titan instead of the LFMs with your Jaguars? Just curious (and jealous).

Mike D:

I like your newest newsletter. I think it is the best yet although I missed the recommended recordings section. You've created a better look with this newest edition. Keep it up and send more!

For anyone who doesnt' subscribe to ACI's newsletter, you SHOULD! Good info for anyone into music and HT. And, (spilling the beans), there is often some special deal that you only hear about if you get the newsletter.

EricKH

Agent
Tim,

I have the older Jags and Titan that I purchased before the new jag / LM combo came out. If I could afford them I would jump in a minute (the new jag / LFM that is)

Tim Ranger

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Eric. I've never heard any of the Jaguars but I bet they are superb. I had a chance to hear Talismans about a year ago and I've had a case of severe lust and I've been saving my dimes and nickles ever since :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks