What's new

New ACI Sub !!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
IMHO, ACI and SVS are after two completely different markets. In their respective markets both companies do quite well. And let's not forget, without ACI, there'd quite possibly be no SVS, Hsu, Outlaw, Axiom, Ascend, etc.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
ACI makes some very nice stuff. I heard the Force sub recently pretty incredible. Amazing performance for the small size and a beautiful cabinet too.

Brian it is very nice to see Mike/ACI recognized for leading the way in the consumer direct sales model. I agree that ACI and SVS' markets are completely different.

Todd, The amp is included with the Maestro. It is a separate unit that goes into your rack so that you don't have to get behind your sub to adjust anything.

19hz -+3dB on a sealed sub that you can crossover as high as 250hz and an amp with .5% distortion when delivering 500 watts. The built in filtering at 100Hz for left and right is a nice touch too. Nice stuff.

Mike D.,
Congrats on this bad boy. You guys must be very proud.

Cliff*L

Auditioning
Yep, ACI makes very nice stuff! I have the Titan II (diy kit), and although it's not necessarily a "house rumbler" it sure does shake everything in my HT room. Paired with my Ascends, it makes sweet sound.

Now, I wonder if ACI would take a trade in . . . hmmmmm.:D

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
When you guys say that SVS and ACI are after different markets what do you mean? SVS is for HT and ACI for music? Or what?

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
ACI is in the REL segment of the market, making subs for the high-end audiophile who has other standards for rating a sub beside how low and loud can it play. The ACI Titan is renown for its integration abilities with planars and electro-stats. The features like stereo in-line filters and higher crossover possiblities allow for more "tweaking" it to mesh with your speakers and room. You can hook it up to your HT amp and 2-channel amp at the same time and can adjust the left and right filters seperately from each for fine tuning. The 500watts is a RMS rating. Looking at the transformers in the shot of the amps guts I'd bet the watts go pretty darn high on a peak.

This is in no way dismissing SVS and their subs. SVS makes a product that their owners can rightfully be very proud of and few can match.

EDIT- I forgot that the ACI is a sealed sub which is important to those audiophiles who can hear the Earth rotate. No possibility of port noise.

Tim Ranger

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Brian, ACI should get more credit. They are certainly one of the original and real leaders in factory direct for audiophiles. Not only that, they build absolutely wonderful products. I spent a lot of time auditioning and trying subs before finally keeping the Titan. Frankly, in the comparisons friends and I have made with the RELs, the ACI offers about twice the sub for 1/2 the bucks. I love my Titan sub and Sapphires, listen to them just about every day. I've also heard a number of their other models and they are all outstanding. I can't imagine this Maestro, four times the output of my beloved Titan!

Me, someday I want to own Talismans :)

Mike Dzurko

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Mark, Curtis, Brian, Chris, Cliff and Tim. The kind words and recognition are very much appreciated! Great way to start the week :)

Please let me know if I can answer any questions. Thanks again!

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Mike,

No problem at all. You're the reason I'm in this business at all. Your kits got me started into audiophile quality sound. As a matter of fact, I just pulled out my old Opals, my original kit speakers, and am using them with an Emerald center. They still sound great!

I do have one question for you...how much for the raw drivers, amps and XO for the Talisman? :D

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
Mike,
How about more info on that amp? Are those dual toroidials with twin heatsinks in a monoblock? What is the peak power on that thing? Are you going to sell the amps on their own?

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I rate subs for :low, loud,blending,sound quality.The REL get low scores for the first 2 and average and above for the other two.I haven't auditioned of an ACI sub so anything is possible.Are these being sold by dealers or direct only?

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
ACI is a consumer direct company that has been around about 25 years now.

I'd say ACI puts sound quality first. obviously the Maestro hits low at 19hz and loud since it is as loud as 4 Titans.

MarkO

Second Unit
A REL that gets an average score for blending and just above average for SQ ? thats a first. A REL is top notch in those catagories, just not as good as a value as the ACI offerings.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member

What's your point with this comment? If it provides 4x the output of my beloved Titan II at less than twice the price, why would I not jump at this beast at that price? What you see as exorbitant, I see as a bargain, especially from a sealed sub with furniture grade finish and one of the lowest Q ratings on the market so it can seamlessly integrate with my main speakers while also shake the paint off the wall.

Everyone has different tastes and needs from their system and I am willing to pay a little more for something that meets those needs, especially when it blows away offerings from other competitors at much higher price points.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter

Have you taken a look at the guts of that amp?

The two round jobs are toroidial transformers and the ribbed edges are heat sinks. Don't forget .5% distortion at 500watts. Also the 500watts is RMS with those big ol' toroidial, there is a whole lot more for a peak. That amp ain't cheap. I suspect it is worth over $500 on its own.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter

Don't get caught up in numbers. A lot of it is just marketing....the bigger is better syndrome.

It is all about the overall design of the sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks