What's new

Needing projector advice including Epson Home 10, Sanyo Z1 and screen reccomendations (1 Viewer)

John Besse

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Ok, I'm going to make the plunge into a projector at the end of the week and want some advice on what I should be buying. I will mainly be using the projector for DVDs through a Denon 1600 DVD player. I have digital cable, but will be rarely using it on the projector except for the occasional wrestling and boxing PPV events. I'd say it is going to be about 90% movies and 10% TV.

I am looking heavily into the Epson Home 10 and Home 10+. However, after reading some recent reviews, I think I am leaning more towards the Sanyo PLV-Z1. Either way, I want a native 16:9 projector. The Sanyo offers a resolution of 964x544, and the Epson is at 854x480. Which one would look better on DVDs? I am going to be running the projector on a Da-Lite Perm-Wall Fixed Wall Screen 37.5''(H) x 67''(W) - HDTV Format 77" 16:9 at approx 115" sitting distance from the screen. The room is overall dark, with very minimal ambient light. Which projector is going to handle itself better?

Last, I need some advice on the screen. I am going to buy the Da-Lite 77" 16:9 screen as I mentioned previously. Being that both projectors are LCD based... Which surface would be the best to go with: Da-Mat, High-Contrast Da-Mat, Cinema Vision or High-Contrast Cinema Vision? I have always heard that you should do a white screen with an LCD projector and go grey with DLP projectors. I know the High-Contrast Da-Mat and the High-Contrast Cinema Vision are both grey, so I'm leaning away from those. I'm not too sure about what color the regular Cinema Vision surface is, would someone let me know if it is grey or white?

Well, if anyone has suggestions on what projector to match up with what screen... I'd greatly appreciate the knowledge. Like I said, I want to purchase by the end of the week. Any good feedback would be great help!

PeterMano

Stunt Coordinator
Well, if it helps any, I just previewed at an a/v dealer the espon home theater 10 vs. a sanyo plv-z2 vs. an infocus screenplay 5700.

The screen size was about 100 inches. The distance from the screen to seated position I would guestimate 12 feet. The projectors were mounted on the back wall so add another 4 to 5 feet. I'm not real good at measuerements.

At any rate, the epson was definitely the worst of the three from just about any standpoint. Most noticeable was the screen door effect which was quite pronouced. I think the salesperson had it there just to be able to trade people up.

The plv-z2 was pretty good, superior color rendition and a much smoother image, with no visible sde at the seated position.

The screenplay 5700 was the best of the bunch imo, superior contrast and the most natural looking picture.

You really should if at all possible find someone locally where you can preview your intended choice. The espson 10 in the environment I viewed it may have been in over its head. It might work much better with an 80" diagonal screen from a distance of 10 feet.

I've checked out other projectors during the past week and frankly, I'd be careful going low-end. I've yet to see anything that impressed me even mildly favorably. I've seen the sanyo plv-z2 and the panasonic AE-500 which are considerably more expensive from what you're contemplating and I'm not blown away by either. The resolution is there, they're smooth, but the punch is lacking in the picture. I can't warm up to either unit.

I was there specifically to inquire about an infocus screenplay 4805, which they didn't have set up. His main concern, based on the 4800 was sde. If I was going 80" diagnol, he felt I needed about 11 to 12 feet viewing distance to comfortably deal with sde which jibes with what I've been reading from people who've posted about the 4805. 2X screen width seems to be the general rule of thumb with that particular unit.

Anyways, good luck.

John Besse

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
One more bump for screen surface. I could really use some good advice as to what others are using with their Z1.

mark alan

Supporting Actor
I would strongly recommend that you go DIY to start. Get a piece of parkland plastic or tileboard from home depot. you can then test out different screen sizes and colors to see what you like best. Then, if you want, you can buy a screen. However, you may find that you are so happy with DIY, you don't need to buy a screen.

For my Z1, I use the 1/8" tileboard, cut to 84" diagonal size, and painted with a mixture of light grey and silver paint. I have been very happy with it for 18 months.

Have fun with your Z1. As far as I am concerned, it is the best bargain in projectors right now.

Eric M Jones

Second Unit

I second that.

I've been using a Z1 with a DIY screen for about a year and I love it. The basic screen can be made for about $50. Use 1"x4" pine for a frame and cover it with blackout fabric (found at fabric store, commonly used to line window curtains.)

Here's a link to my site if you want to see how it looks Jones4.com

-EJ

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
When I got my projector, I was leaning towards the Stewart Firehawk until I saw the price, then I made my own screen which I will not replace.

John Besse

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Eric, I think you sold me when I took a look at your site!!! What kind of paint mixture should I be using to do the surface? Let me know where you guys bought yours and exactly what mixture you have done.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/a9e41...7s98ABosndI2Ou
Chiming in with my own DIY screen made from a 4'x8' lauan painted with 2 coats of Glidden Misty Evening, a slightly greyish blue latex paint from Home Depot. Above screenshot is from said set-up with our Z1 taken with a Canon G5 with no alterations whatsoever. I think the colors are pretty much dead on in person.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks