What's new

Need opinions on the Halloween DVD's (1 Viewer)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I know there are 3 different versions of this film on DVD.

1. 2-disc Limited edition - Theatrical cut and extended TV cut.

2. Theatrical cut

3. Extended cut - includes extra TV scenes and violence.

Because my wife is hearing impaired versions 1 & 2 were never an option for me because of no closed cations or english subtitles. I do know that the new extended cut is captioned. I did see the tv version back in the early 80's so my memory is a little hazy.

My question is how is this version compared to the original cut?

Do the extra scenes add or detract from the film?

Are there any other differences between the two versions?

Should I wait for another release of the theatrical version and hope that its captioned?

any feedback would be helpful

- Jim

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
The TV cut (put out by Anchor Bay) is the theatrical cut + the extended scenes for TV. None of the nudity or violence is cut "for TV." So it's basically an extended cut of the film. The original 2-disc set includes the theatrical cut + extras on 1 disc and the TV cut on another. That set is OOP, but the TV cut is now available for a cheap price. (I don't know why I just wrote all that, as it's obvious from your post that you knew this already. What the hell is wrong with me? :) )
Do I like the extended cut? Not really. I prefer the theatrical cut. The extended scenes don't add much to the film nor do they slow it down. YMMV. I'm not a huge fan of the series, but the original is one of my favorite horror flicks.
I don't own the TV extended cut any more so I can't check to see if it's close-captioned or not. I would find it odd if Anchor Bay re-released the 2nd disc and it was anything other than a repressing with different artwork though.

Jeff D.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
As has already been stated, the 'TV Cut' would be more appropriately titled an 'Extended Cut'. When Halloween was broadcast on TV, many scenes of violence and sex/nudity had to be cut. The result was a film that was too short. Halloween II was being filmed and so it was decided, at the same time, to film some new footage for the television broadcast of the original, to make up for lost time, so to speak.

The Anchor Bay edition presents the original movie uncut with these scenes spliced in. They really don't add much too the film. The only scene that could have possibly added something (though it fell a bit short) was the scene where Loomis is presenting his case to the hospital's board.

All in all, these additions are pretty harmless. I don't think they particularly detract from the film.

/Jeff

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
Sadly, none of the Halloween DVDs are closed captioned or include subtitles for the deaf and hearing impaired.

There were released to DVD prior to Anchor Bay doing minimal support for closed captioning.

Despite the fact, that the extended cut features the 12 minutes of footage shot for TV...its not the television cut of the film. Its in actuallity the extended version(as the artwork states) of the theatrical cut.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
The most significant change imparted by the extended cut is:
It is made fairly clear that Michael Meyers is hunting down Jamie Lee Curtis' character because she is his sister.
This is a plot point raised in Halloween II and reiterated in Halloween: H20.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
everyone,

thanks for the feedback.

I almost always prefer the theatrical cuts of films but it sounds like the extra scenes are harmless. I guess I have no choice but to pick this version up if I want to own it.

- Jim

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
Yes, I'd definitely say that the benefit of the captioning, in your case, far outweighs any "damage" done to the film by the extra, extraneous scenes. And you can always skip through them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks