What's new

The Last Emperor (limited 4K release from Arrow - UK) (1 Viewer)

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith
many of the scenes used to illustrate this were not from the Theatrical Cut
I've now watched the extended version and got so lost in the story that I didn't really think about the fact that it was only on Blu Ray.

There is more of the Forbidden City, which I enjoyed seeing. It was this film that encouraged me to travel to China and visit the FC - an incredible space, even with plenty of tourists around (thank god none being led around by a guide with a noisy loud hailer) Yes, there are the great, empty state halls and vast courtyards, but there are also a lot of smaller, intimate spaces that feature a bit more in this extended cut. As a major 'character' in the film, this version gives a bit more.

The only only thing that sharply stood out was the censoring of the Red Guard at the end who instructs Pu Yi to 'f**k off', - here it has been dubbed to 'buzz off' - no doubt for TV....

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
The Arrow in 4K produced an absolutely sumptuous visual experience. It's NOT dark and color saturation is extraordinary. It's also in the proper aspect ratio as seen theatrically. So, plus-plus-plus.

If this looks too dark on your display, it's your display that needs calibration - not the disc!
You can't make a statement like that without seeing the Univeral Japanese uncropped version.

plektret

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
Ι hope not. If Criterion had done this, we would have subpar encoding.
It's gotten to the point were I'm hoping that Criterion won't release any of my favorite movies, as I know they will always be ruined by bad compression, with film grain looking like Lego (also, Pixelogic often adds some additional DNR) plus strong noise reduction for the soundtrack. Criterion just don't care anymore. The underlying restoration can be gorgeous, but it ends up looking/sounding like a digital mess once Pixelogic and Criterion's audio staff gets their hands on it :angry:

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Arrow 4K from post #5
1lea.jpeg

Universal Japan Blu-ray from caps-a-holic
1lej.jpg

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Are those actually screenshots from the disc, or photos taken off a screen? That first one looks horrible.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
This could be a tone-mapping issue with the display. HDR is finnicky. I know I've watched things that were almost unwatchably dim on my projector only to have others tell me it looked fantastic on an OLED or something.

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
In your opinion which doesn't necessarily mean others agree with you.
I yet to read a post by someone who has both discs and did a comparison. Like I said if all you have to go by is the Arrow disc, you could be fooled It does look great, but is darker than it should be This is a real shame ,I love the movie, and want it done right in 4k

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I yet to read a post by someone who has both discs and did a comparison. Like I said if all you have to go by is the Arrow disc, you could be fooled It does look great, but is darker than it should be This is a real shame ,I love the movie, and want it done right in 4k
I don't need to watch that other disc as I'm perfectly happy with this Arrow 4K disc, especially after the Criterion Blu-ray fiasco. It looks beautiful on my OLED and that's all that I require from it. Your stated position about it being too dark compared to that previous Japanese Blu-ray is duly noted in this thread. I'm sorry you're not happy with what Arrow did with this 4K release.

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
I don't need to watch that other disc as I'm perfectly happy with this Arrow 4K disc, especially after the Criterion Blu-ray fiasco. It looks beautiful on my OLED and that's all that I require from it. Your stated position about it being too dark compared to that previous Japanese Blu-ray is duly noted in this thread. I'm sorry you're not happy with what Arrow did with this 4K release.
Amd you have the assurance of knowing the grading was done by Dave Mckenzie at FIM.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I have the Arrow 4K release and did my own a/b comparison to the Criterion release and the 4K disc looks better and happy with the result.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have the Arrow 4K release and did my own a/b comparison to the Criterion release and the 4K disc looks better and happy with the result.
It’s not the Criterion Blu-ray that’s in dispute with this Arrow 4K release. It’s the Japanese Blu-ray compared to the Arrow 4K/UHD.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
It's gotten to the point were I'm hoping that Criterion won't release any of my favorite movies, as I know they will always be ruined by bad compression, with film grain looking like Lego (also, Pixelogic often adds some additional DNR) plus strong noise reduction for the soundtrack. Criterion just don't care anymore. The underlying restoration can be gorgeous, but it ends up looking/sounding like a digital mess once Pixelogic and Criterion's audio staff gets their hands on it :angry:

Criterion has been losing ground for some time now, sadly. I'm not just talking about things like poor encoding/compression (thankfully, I'm not as sensitive to those issues as many here are) - I'm referring more to overall presentation/quality of extras and, yes, title selection. That, coupled with their late entry into the 4K game, has made them less desirable as a label IMO. They've come a LONG way - down - from their LaserDisc glory days.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks