What's new

The Last Emperor (limited 4K release from Arrow - UK) (2 Viewers)

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith
My copy has just arrived and I'm looking forward to digging in this evening. To re-open the aspect ratio can of worms again, both the 4K Theatrical and the Blu Ray Extended 'TV' versions are in 2.39.1

This set has a few new extras, but not all the same as my 2004 2 disc DVD version - for example, there's no director's commentary in here.
A shame therefore that it's not quite definitive..

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I've just done a quick comparison between the Criterion blu-ray from 2008, as well as the Arrow 4K UHD and Arrow blu-ray (the TV version).

The major differences: the framing, obviously. There is a huge difference between the cropped 2.00:1 aspect ratio on the Criterion and the 2.39:1 ratio on the Arrow. The soundtrack: Arrow present both versions with 5.1 sound, Criterion only has stereo. And the picture: of course, the 4K UHD completely obliterates both the Criterion blu-ray and the TV version on the Arrow blu-ray for detail and colour. The TV version looks as though it comes from exactly the same master as the 2008 Criterion. A fuzzy picture, riddled with digital artifacts. The TV version is 56 minutes longer than the theatrical version - I've never seen it. I would love to watch it, but I reckon it would be a bit hard to watch, after seeing the 4K UHD, though.

IMG_1873.jpeg
Criterion 1.jpeg
Arrow 4K 1.jpeg
Arrow TV 1.jpeg
Criterion 2.jpeg
Arrow 4K 2.jpeg
Arrow TV 2.jpeg
IMG_1870.jpeg

Attachments

• Criterion 2.jpeg
    Criterion 2.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 44

cda1143

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I've just done a quick comparison between the Criterion blu-ray from 2008, as well as the Arrow 4K UHD and Arrow blu-ray (the TV version).

The major differences: the framing, obviously. There is a huge difference between the cropped 2.00:1 aspect ratio on the Criterion and the 2.39:1 ratio on the Arrow. The soundtrack: Arrow present both versions with 5.1 sound, Criterion only has stereo. And the picture: of course, the 4K UHD completely obliterates both the Criterion blu-ray and the TV version on the Arrow blu-ray for detail and colour. The TV version looks as though it comes from exactly the same master as the 2008 Criterion. A fuzzy picture, riddled with digital artifacts. The TV version is 56 minutes longer than the theatrical version - I've never seen it. I would love to watch it, but I reckon it would be a bit hard to watch, after seeing the 4K UHD, though.

View attachment 176016 View attachment 176017 View attachment 176018 View attachment 176020 View attachment 176021 View attachment 176022 View attachment 176023 View attachment 176024
Sold. Just ordered.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Anybody ordered from the UK to ship to the United States recently? I used to go with Zavvi for UK exclusive discs, but it appears their UK site no longer ships to the US, and their US site doesn't carry this title (or any others not licensed for the US market).

Any other suggestions? Amazon UK doesn't have it in stock. Does Arrow ship to the US from their own site?

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Neither is in stock at the moment. The 4K is only available from third-party sellers.
It shows to me that it's still available from Amazon as a seller.
Maybe it doesn't show the same to you that you live in USA?
I live in Greece.

By the way, I just bought it!
And it is my 400th blu-ray! :dance:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
On Ebay there is the UK seller Rarewaves and i have purchased from them many times and currently have the 4k disc for $38.63 which includes shipping.
Rarewaves has their own site, as well as shops on eBay and Amazon Marketplace. It's useful to buy direct if you don't want eBay or Amazon taking a cut of the sale.

There's also DiabolikDVD[.com]. They're currently OOS on this, but they have more coming. They're offering it for $38.99 (plus $5 flat rate shipping).

cda1143

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Josh:

It is in stock at AmazonUK, but they are prohibited from selling certain things not licensed in the US. Same issue with shipping. Amazon UK will ship to the US, but only things licensed for sale here. This hurdle arises with some discs and books, hence the work-around through third party sellers.

If you log onto the UK site with a UK IP address it will show as available, but you still won’t be able to ship it to the US.

I’ve ordered many times from Rarewaves, in the past through Amazon.UK, and more recently directly from Rarewaves. I’ve only ever had one problem - Christmas 2020 a book never arrived, but they sent a replacement express right away. Turns out the USPS lost it and it showed up weeks later.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Josh:

It is in stock at AmazonUK, but they are prohibited from selling certain things not licensed in the US. Same issue with shipping. Amazon UK will ship to the US, but only things licensed for sale here. This hurdle arises with some discs and books, hence the work-around through third party sellers.

If you log onto the UK site with a UK IP address it will show as available, but you still won’t be able to ship it to the US.

Thanks for the clarification. It didn't used to be that way. I ordered a ton of UK-exclusive stuff in the past from both the Amazon and Zavvi UK sites.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks