What's new

Need nOrh advice. (1 Viewer)

Lynn Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, I've finally talked my mom into doing a home theater system. She LOVES my setup(me too), but doesn't want to spring for the M&K setup I've got, so I suggested the nOrh 4.0's or 5.1's, or the diva swans. Well, she just LOVES the look of the nOrhs. So, should I get the 4.0's or the 5.1's. She'd like to save as much money as possible, but there is only $100 difference. What's the difference in sound quality here with the 4.0's or the 5.1's? Thanks in advance people!

Lynn

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

John McGee

Auditioning
If there is a sub planned for the HT as well, go for the 4.0's. The main difference between the 4.0's and 5.1's is that the 5.1's play a little lower; but you would still need a sub with the 5.1's for HT purposes.

Also, the 5.1's are only available in wood I believe unless they now make them in simulated marble??? whereas the 4.0's can be marble or ceramic which improves on the sound over the wood IMHO.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Agreed. If there is a sub, go with the 4.0 package.

You can get the 5.1s in synthetic marble. If you do that then you should get the ceramic 4.0s (center and surrounds). If she prefers a more laid back sound then you will want to recommend the woods to her. If she prefers a more detailed sound then the ceramic is the way to go.

Tyson

Stunt Coordinator
The 4.0's are MUCH smaller than the 5.1's, and are easier to place. Take the $100 difference and get a better sub. A real upgrade over the 4.0's would be the SM6.9's or mini-9.0's, but that is a lot more $$.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks