What would you recommend?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Botvinick, Mar 1, 2002.

1. Michael Botvinick

Michael Botvinick Stunt Coordinator

What would you recommend?
    Thanks to all of your help my new home and HT will be done real soon.
    I would like any speaker recommendations you have. Currently I am running Definitive Technology 2002 main speakers and Polk Audio for the center and surrounds (mediocre speakers). My new HT will have two surround location in the upper rear corners of the HT and have two rear center locations on the rear wall just above couch height.
    This means that I will need to buy 5 new speakers. That's a lot of dough!
    For the Center I was considering the Definitive Technology CLR 2300 or CLR 2002 ($599 or $499). (The 2300 have a built in Sub but only have 4inch drivers and my mains have 51/4inch) They are expensive (For my budget) but will match my other mains. Does anyone have any suggestions? What other speaker brand would match closely?
    For the rear side channels, these speakers have to be mounted on the wall. What brands could I consider that gives a good value? Axiom, Diva, nOrh, Home Theater Direct etc?
    Also for the rear centers they can be mounted on the wall or on stands.
    Any advice I would really appreciate?
    I am budgeting for an SVSUB maybe the 16-46 or the 20-39 that I will purchase real soon.
    Thanks,
    Michael
    [email protected]

2. Michael Botvinick

Thanks for your emails. If anyone else can help, plesae email me[​IMG]

3. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Michael, are you saying that you will not be able to use bipolar towers in the front and the rear in your new setup? If you are getting a DT center channel, you should probably stick with DT. If you can't incorporate bipolar towers, you should look at the new PowerMonitors...3 of those across the front would be nice...and 5 all around would be even nicer. Good luck!

4. Michael Botvinick

Bob,
    I will use the Def Tech towers in front. Until now, I did not have a dedicated HT. Since I am building one I would like to do all 4 rear channels now and replace the front center. Thus keeping my bi-wired towers in front. The questios is, is it worth spending all the money for Def Tech for the 4 rears or have people been happy with alternative choices. The center mathcing channel from Def Tech is also up in the air. My wife saw and heard the nOrh at a friends house. There was no way I was going to descirbe to her why they will not match the def tech in timbre.
    The side rears should be a di-pole speaker but the two center rears need not be.
    Thanks for your advice.
    PS I also entered the SCS giveaway. If I win , one less piece I have to buy. My budget is important since I am also installing in-celining speakers all at the same time[​IMG] So you can see why I am looking for alternatives to spending the money of Def Tech.

5. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

I hear ya Michael...Def Tech makes some inexpensive speakers...like the ProMonitor80's or 100's...and the bp1.2x. Also, you might be able to get some DT's used for a good price. I'm not really sure how well speakers from other manufacturers will match, but in the rear it may not be so critical.