What's new

Looking for advice - new to the forums, not new to audio. (1 Viewer)

brycelarson

Auditioning
Real Name
bryce
Hi guys,

I'm an audio guy at heart - I work in entertainment and have a good ear. I regularly do live sound and tun and design sound for theatre. I'm looking for a new HT receiver.

I'm currently running an Outlaw 1050 - but I'm looking to upgrade to something that will do HDMI. I've also got a couple of nice older HK 2 channel amps laying around. My current mains are DIY boxes that I built a few years back. They really like power - so the 250w a channel that the HK amps will feed them is great.

I'm buying a pair of Norh 5.1s. I've listened to and loved the 3.0s, 4.0s - so I'm terribly excited to get the 5.1s in.

The Norh speakers are moderatly efficient - but from all that I read they do really solidify when you give them some power "overhead" if you know what I mean.

So, here's my list - let me know what you think.

I need HDMI - currently just a single source, but since it's standardized I would prefer to be future proof.
I would really prefer preamp outputs - to give me the option to feed the mains with those amps I already own.
I'm looking to keep this on a budget - so let's say sub $500. And optimally less.
I need something that will give me something like the musicality and smooth, accurate sound that my Outlaw does.

I've owned and enjoyed Onkyo in the past - I've always been impressed with their amplifier build quality and the fact that you get somwhere near the advertised output. I've been very ahppy with my Outlaw receiver - and would upgrade, but their newer processors are a bit out of my price range.

thanks guys,

-Bryce

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
The Onkyos are good. You have to get the minimum of the TX-SR707 or the HT-RC180 to get pre-outs. http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR707-7-2-Channel-Surround-Receiver/dp/B002DSMNPC/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=aht&qid=1261456353&sr=1-9 or here: http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-RC180-7-2-Channel-Surround-Receiver/dp/B002L6GEKG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1261456404&sr=1-1
To stay under the $500, you'd need the TX-SR707. That receiver should serve you well.
Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks