1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

I need some advice, norh speakers (5.1, 4.0)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ryan davis, Sep 13, 2001.

1. ryan davis

ryan davis Stunt Coordinator

Im in the middle of upgrading my home theater, and the norh's have very much caught my eye. I was looking to spend $1000 or less, and the 5.1 deal sounded great. You can get a pair of 5.1's, a pair of 4.0's, and a 4.0 for the center channel. All this for $950. Now is would this be worth the upgrade cost over the 4.0 set? Its only a extra $100 but i need money to upgrade my television also. Also, my reciever is a yamaha rx-v992. It was high end three years ago, but will these speakers reveal its age? Will i find myself wanting to upgrade shortly? I listen to music just as much as i watch movies. Im upgrading from a jbl-s center channel and s-38's as my mains, no rears at the moment. Any insight would be apreciated.

2. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

First I'd like to mention that the 4.0 and the 5.1 use the exact same drivers and crossovers. So they should match very well. But there are 2 very important differences between these speakers:
    1 - The 5.1 is tuned lower than the 4.0, hence the larger enclosure. This may be important to you if you set your mains to large or you don't use a subwoofer. The 4.0 sounds veeeeery good on its own. But it does lack the full bass extention that is preferred for music and demanded for HT.
    2 - The 4.0 is available in a ceramic enclosure for no extra charge. With an inert enclosure like this, there is virtually no cabinet resonance to add distortion or rob power from the driver. The 5.1 is currently only available in a wood enclosure. And while the wood speakers are said to have a warmer sound and be a bit more forgiving of not-so-good electronics and source material, they just can't match the clarity and precision of the ceramic or marble speakers.
    I have not heard the 5.1, but I don't think they would add enough bass extension to run without a subwoofer, especially for HT. Coupled with a good subwoofer, the ceramic 4.0 should actually outperform the wood 5.1, so to me the answer was obvious.
    Now norh will soon release a synthetic marble 5.1 speaker that will have all the advantages of the inert cabinet and cost the same or close to the current wood 5.1 price. But still, if you're going to be using a subwoofer anyway, save the $100 and get the 4.0s. They're incredible.

3. Tyson

Tyson Stunt Coordinator

The marble/ceramic 4.0 is a better speaker than the wood 5.1. I would say stick with the 5 ceramic 4.0's for $850 as a better performing package. If you want a front left and right speaker that is a "step up" over the 4.0, the SM 6.1 is the way to go (I have been told by someone that owns both). nOrh would probably offer a package deal with the 6.1's instead of the 5.1's, but I don't know what the cost would be, you should contact them.