What's new

Need Recommendations for Speakers/Receiver - $3,500 range (1 Viewer)

Don_Smith

Auditioning
I'm new to this forum. I am currently reviewing HT Speakers & Receivers and welcome any advice/comments from the experts out there on the "Home Theater Forum". I am willing to spend between $3,000 - $3,500 for the combination of HT speakers and receiver. I currently have a Mitsu 60" Rear Projector and Panasonic DVD player.

This system will be used 100% for Home Theater.

My TV room/Game room is approx. 17x18 with 11 ft. raised cathedral ceiling.

I've been considering a Denon 3802 and the M&K 750 series. I've also considered an Onkyo THX Select Receiver as well to use with the M&K's.

I have also considered the following:

-nOrh SM 6.9s, nOrh 4.1 Center along with SVS 20-39PC/Samsoon S700 Combo

- Yamaha RX V1200 with Paradigm Speakers (Monitor 7's, CC370 Center, ADP 370B Surrounds and PDR12 Sub).

- Boston Acoustics Sys 10K

- Boston Acoustics PV 800, Theatro & (4) Haydens

I'm not partial to any particular set up. I just want the best "bang for my buck" and can spend up to $3,500 for the speakers/receiver combo. I'm open to all recommendations.

Also, any comments regarding purchasing this type of high-end equipment from on-line companies (or E-Bay companies) would also be appreciated. There are some very tempting prices on-line, but I'd be worried about factory re-builds or seconds. Any thoughts?????

Terry Flink

Stunt Coordinator
I have the nOrh 4.0 video system powered by an Outlaw 750 amp with an SVS 20-39CS powered by an Adcom GFA555II amp. Amazing! Everything you have read is true....

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
are you looking for a full 5.1 + receiver setup? the most important thing is to listen to as many different setups as you can and choose the one that sounds best to you. take everyone's opinions with a grain of salt...in the end, it's YOU that has to be happy with your purchase! :)

Don_Smith

Auditioning
Yes! I'm looking for the full 5.1 HT system. I've come to realize that I need to look closer at speanding $4,000-$4,500 for the speakers/receiver set up, to do it well that is.

I've heard lots of good stuff about the nOrh's. I'm still trying to visualize them in my game room though. I don't know if the configuration of the room will support setting up these bad boys.

Any comments?

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Few people seem to bite, but I'll throw it out there again. If you have or have access to some tools, seriously consider DIY. There are a meriad of kits available that will allow you to greatly exceed what you can get commercially for the same money.

I'm partial to Adire Audio stuff. For less than $500 USD you can build a sub using a driver and amp they sell that can match a pair of SVS 16-46CS subs. Then there was an individual who built their Kit281 ($360 plus cabinet construction and finishing materials). He said to him self, it's only $360 plus some MDF for a cabinet. I'll try it, if I like them better than B&W Nautilus 804 (retails for over $3000 USD a pair) I'll keep them, if I don't, I'll sell the kit and only be out the $50 for the MDF and the loss on reselling the kit and then buy the 804. He kept the Kit281. He felt there was no gain from the 804 on home theatre and only a very slight edge on music that didn't justify the 6x greater cost.

For more information and other kit vendors or DIY options just head to the advanced section and the guys there will help you out.

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
if you're gonna use the system for primarily HT, go DefTech. they rule the HT realm but are not the best for music. if you're gonna be listening to music more often than movies, then you should look at the nOrh's. for movies, Definitive does rule!!

Scott Werner

Auditioning
I agree, for movies DefTech makes some great speakers, very spacious sounding, you feel enveloped in the sound. I also have Axiom speakers ( www.axiomaudio.com ) that are an incredible value. They are more detailed and accurate but the sound is nowhere near as immersive.

Newell

Grip
You question is very open-ended. There are numerous good speaker choices within your budget. However, I would suggest that you keep all you speakers the same brand to preserve the tonal balance of your system.

For example, in your list of possibilites you have Boston Acoustics with the Maestro (Vienna Acoustics) and the Haydns (has no "e" by the way) another VA product.

I have the VA Bachs, the Maestro, and the Haydns (along with a REL Storm III sub). Love my system, but I use it for music as well as HT.

Had the Def Techs (Pro Cinema 100s) when I first got into HT. I think they were great for HT, but lacking on music...but hey, if your only plan on using your "stuff" for HT, the Def Techs are something to seriously consider.

Nobody can provide you with a definitive (pardon the awful pun) answer to your question. You'll just have to listen to a lot of speakers and decide for yourself what sounds right to you.

Other personal factors also come into play, e. g., I have four cats who would have thought the SVS subs were a gift from the cat gods (they would have shredded the covers in a matter of days). One of the many reasons I went with the REL sub over others such as the SVS.

Have fun shopping.

Have you listened to Klipsch Reference speakers? Opinions on them are typically binary--people either love them or hate them. Authorized Klipsch dealers are very easy to find, which is nice for auditioning purposes (and for bargaining--you shouldn't have to pay anywhere near MSRP). With your budget, you could plant a pair of RF-7s up front. Or you could do what I did--get RF-3s all around, an RC-3, a nice receiver (Integra 7.1 here, I like Onkyo products), an SVS. . . and a whole bunch of new DVDs while staying under $3000. Now I'm considering adding another SVS. Not because I NEED one. . . well, "need" is such a funny word. . .
Try out the Klipsch. You've got nothing to lose.

steve paul

Stunt Coordinator
I just scrapped (sold) my entire def tech system for Monitor Audio GR series. The monitor is better in HT and Music than the def techs were (BP2000, BP 30, CLR 2500)

Sound was much more dynamic in HT and WAYYYYYY better with music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks