What's new
World Wide Stereo

Need info on digital tv please! (1 Viewer)

markMGB

Auditioning
I was just browsing the forums and realised that in Feb. 2009, all tv signals will be digital. I currently use a satelite with Bell Expressvue which says that all their programming is digital. Does the new standard taking effect in 2 years only apply to cable tv and basic antenna tv, or does it mean that all the TV i will be watching will be broadcast in 16:9 (either 720 or 1080, or whatever else we reach by then) with HD quality video and audio? I was just curious how this would affect me, seing as how I am already supposed to be getting digital TV across all my channels. Anyone care to shed some light on the matter?

Thanks in advance!

Mark

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
You shouldn't need to worry. If you're already getting sat or digital cable, you're good. If you're just getting local channels, over the air, you'll need a set top converter box, or new tv (if it's an older tv).

HD is digital, but digital isn't necessarily HD. By Feb. 2009, everyone is supposed to broadcast a digital signal. Not an HD signal. There should be much more HD available by then though.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
The digital signal requirement applies to over-the-air broadcast television. The analog NTSC signal (AM video and FM audio) which has served us so well for going on 70 years, is being withdrawn, and only the recently-introduced ATSC digital signal (MPEG-2 video and AC-3 audio with 8-VSB modulation) will remain.

This is of interest to those of us who get our television with an antenna. Cable and satellite will be largely unaffected.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yashavi46
Recent bookmarks