What's new

Yamaha RX-V675 6.1 Surround, cuts out, when watching OTA Broadcast Stations! (1 Viewer)

rivrbyte

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim
Hello!
Years ago, I set up my home audo, with a Yamaha RX-V675, for Audio, I added 6.0, “Ventriloquist,” custom speakers, from a local speaker company, “HSU Sound,” (Very happy with their speakers, still cranking today!) and upgraded the subwoofer from, 100w bass, to 200w.
The Video, is my wall-mounted Samsung Smart TV, (series 5)
I have a TOS Optical running from the TV, in the wall, and out, then into the Yamaha.
There is no problem with hearing, watching Prime or YouTube, the surround, both Audo and Video, I’m happy with, still sounds good.
BUT….
I installed an, Over The Air, (OTA) roof antenna, so I’m not beholden to Spectrum and their expensive, arm and a face, cable fees.

**The BROADCAST OTA issue I’m having is dropped audio, that cuts out every few seconds, and seems to only happen when I have the, “SPEAKER SETTINGS,” set to, “AUDIO OUT,” (to Receiver) to get Surround for local OTA stations.
The work around, unless there’s another way) is to go back to, “MENU, SOUND, SPEAKER SETTINGS, TV SPEAKER.”

QUESTION:
Is there any way to use my Receiver Surround Sound, for watching OTA (Over The Air) broadcast stations, WITHOUT HEARING ANY SOUND DROP-OFFS, EVERY FEW SECONDS?
I have the Optical TOS into receiver, from TV, which only helps when using AUDIO OUT,
AUDIO FORMAT - “PCM,”
And under Additional Settings, Dolby Digital Comp. - “RF.” The other, LINE option, sounded terrible, like Dolby Digital format compared to PCM.
OR,
Could it be, that with using, TV SPEAKERS, I will always have the dropped audio every few seconds, by using my V675 receiver’s surround, and having a broadcast OTA signal?

Another problem:
My Remote,
…a RAV290, [WR00240 US] does not work 100%, with both the, INFO & SETUP, buttons, no longer working.

Years ago, Yamaha was going to charge me over, $50, for a remote replacement.😳 so much for being a loyal customer! I wonder how much they are now, in 2022!
Thank You!
BozoJim 🤡

Last edited:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Well you don't have ARC on that tv, there's your first problem. There may be a setting in it for Dolby Digital, that would be my next guess.

I'm honestly surprised that series 5 still works, that thing's a dinosaur now.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
The manual I found says that when the TV has an HDMI in connected the optical output is limited to stereo, so the receiver may be trying to decode and getting confused. (https://www.manualslib.com/manual/146548/Samsung-Series-5.html?page=8#manual) If I have the correct manual, it seems the TV has an older, limited connection configuration.
I suggest using a standalone OTA decoder and connecting that directly to the receiver. Something like this:

As for the remote, you might try the android app. I'm not sure it works with the RX-V675, but it works with both my RX-673 and RX-V681.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
How do you receive Prime and YouTube? With the TV’s apps, or an external streaming device?

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
The "Receiver" setting on the Samsung TV is intended for use with HDMI CEC, or as Samsung calls it Anynet +. For your use scenario, I think you need to select "External" or similar. Here's some info on Anynet+

Magnaflux

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
A bit late to the conversation, but had phase problems that were attributed to the broadcaster.
It seems they installed a new audio device that was at fault.
Spoke with the engineer as he switched it off, and the anomalies disappeared.
He said it was FCC required and found a work around. Bypassed it internally and rewired the power switch to illuminate when switched "OFF".

Users who are viewing this thread