What's new

Need help with this one???? (1 Viewer)

npb4me

Auditioning
Real Name
Dustin
Okay, I have a problem. First let me explain my setup. I have a Dish Network HD 811 receiver plugged into a Yamaha HTR-5860 via component cables. Then, from the Yamaha to a Pioneer plasma screen with the PDA-5002 video card via component/24 pin DVI cable. Now for my problem. I have lost all component red color in my screen. This is the 2nd time this has happened. My first receiver was a Sony STR-DE995 and it was fixed. But in the mean time I put in the Yamaha, and it has lasted 6 months until this. Any ideas???

CameronJ

Stunt Coordinator
I'm going to ask the obvious question first - did you double check all your connections?

I only ask because something similar happened to me with green a few years ago - I spent an hour trying to troubleshoot until I realized that the cable was barely in.

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
First Verify that it's not the dish network receiver.. plug the component video from the Dish box directly to the TV and see what you get. You may just have a bad component cord or loose. Check that out first... if that works then it verifys that the sat box is good and your cables are good. Then is a problem either with the receiver or the DVI cord.

If that still doesn't work directly to the Tv then test the component cable. Run just the Green signal to the TV through the Green wire ( you should get a Black and white picture) do the same unplug the green at both ends and plug the red into the green at both ends... You again should get a Black and White Picture. If you do get a B&W picture through the Red wire of the component then the video cable is good. You can also do the same to verify the blue, but that seems to be good at this time.

Let me know the results of the above tests.

npb4me

Auditioning
Real Name
Dustin
I bypassed the receiver and plugged the screen directly into the sat receiver. Color was perfect. Something is causing the red to go out in my stereo receivers, just don't know what would cause 2 of them to go bad.

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Third time is a charm!.... Try a Denon... Never had any problems with a Denon.:) Can you tell I'm a fan...

At least you know where the problem is.... just why the high failure rate...

CameronJ

Stunt Coordinator

I would be more likely to guess that the problem is with the set of cables that you didn't include when you bypassed the receiver. I have a hard time believing that two receivers from two different manufacturers would have the exact same failure.

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Did you use different cables when you went to the TV? or did you reuse the component cables that you were running to the receiver to begin with?

npb4me

Auditioning
Real Name
Dustin

Yes, I just unplugged the cables from the Yamaha receiver, and plugged them into the back of the sat receiver. If the cables were bad, wouldn't my Yamaha go bad the second I plugged it in nearly 6 months ago? HMMMMMMMMM.

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
I figured you would use the same cables, but after cameron's post it just raised the question.

I would figure at this point your no idiot in troubleshooting the problem.

Back to the drawing board on this one... I'm beginning to wonder if the same converter chip was used in both units. We'll probably never know the answer to that one....

Try the old "unplug the receiver for a while" and reconnect it as it was... see if it's a problem with the converter chip "freezing" in some mode and just needs a break from power for a while... Never hurts to try that one. It wouldn't explain the reason, but would give a new avenue to explore.

I'm getting to the stumped stage!..:crazy:

npb4me

Auditioning
Real Name
Dustin

I'll unplug the receiver tonight before I go to bed and plug it back in tomorrow morning. Hopefully I can figure this out. Thanks for all of everyones advice.

CameronJ

Stunt Coordinator

Not necessarily. There could be a break in the cable that only manifested itself after something got moved, etc. I know you can't check the cables that you had going from the sat receiver to the ht receiver as your plasma has a dvi input, but I'd really recommend trying out a new set. The problem I had with a loose connection showed itself as a green bar moving left to right across the screen. The thing that had me initially baffled was that it didn't show up all the time, only about half the time.

Also - and I'm really grasping at straws here - is there a setting somewhere that could have been changed? I know in my Motorola 6412 cable box you can change the color space between RGB and YrPbPr. The only change I notice when changing between the two is differences in what was black (dark colors, etc.). I'm not familiar with any of your components - but maybe something is getting lost in translation? Like I said - its really reaching, but try resetting all settings back to the defaults in the receiver.

npb4me

Auditioning
Real Name
Dustin
Quick thought.........Should I be using a converter of some sort between the Yamaha and the plasma screen? Aren't Component and DVI 2 types of different signals? Could this be causing problems?

Here is a small pic of the cable I am using:

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
The Yamaha as it was working and I haven't asked the model number has a circuit that converts the Component to DVI that's the part of the receiver that's in question right now.

Try component into the yamaha and Component out of the yamaha if you have an extra set of component cables.

Explain the first comment that you made in the very first post..

"Yamaha to a Pioneer plasma screen with the PDA-5002 video card via component/24 pin DVI cable.....

WOOW... Back up a minute..... How can you be using the DVI cable? There's no DVI out on the model HTR-5860 that I'm looking at??????????? I'm just reading the specs and looking at the back panel of the Yamaha

Is this the correct back of your receiver?

npb4me

Auditioning
Real Name
Dustin
Well, I decided it was upgrade time. So I got a new Yamaha receiver with HDMI, and a new video card with DVI-HDCP. All new cables and everything is much clearer and better. To clear things up, I was using a component to 15 pin connector on the plasma. Thanks to everyone that has helped. I am sure this setup will last me atleast a year before I upgrade again.

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
OK Think you solved the problem yourself.. I still don't understand what you are refering to with the "and a new video card with DVI-HDCP"?? Where's this video card?

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Ok I'm still confused.. is that an upgrade card for the Pioneer Plasma?
Looks like a very impressive card,but I'm lost!!!!!
Where/what does this card fit into?
and what are the connections to the device that it goes into?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks