What's new

Yamaha RX-V6A to Samsung smart TV blank screen (1 Viewer)

Hamguy

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert
My new Yamaha RX-V6A is connected to my Samsung smart TV. Worked fine at first, but then the TV screen goes blank whenever I select the receiver. Connection is an HDMI ARC cable. Can display Setup and Options on the TV screen. Can select other devices (eg DVD player) from the TV no problem. Have tried re-initializing the receiver, and problem not fixed.

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
How are your devices connected? You should not be selecting the DVD player through the TV, everything should be connected to the Yamaha.
When the screen goes blank, what exactly are you trying to watch - ex: smart apps on TV or a cable box.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
My new Yamaha RX-V6A is connected to my Samsung smart TV. Worked fine at first, but then the TV screen goes blank whenever I select the receiver. Connection is an HDMI ARC cable. Can display Setup and Options on the TV screen. Can select other devices (eg DVD player) from the TV no problem. Have tried re-initializing the receiver, and problem not fixed.
Sounds like your receivers video processing settings may be causing resolution and/or refresh rate incompatibility. The RX-V6A is capable of 8K, up to 60Hz. Can the TV handle that?

This may help.

Hamguy

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert
Thanks for the responses. Here's my response: I've swapped HDMI cables on the ARC channel, no change. Moved the DVD player to the TV so can still watch movies, but without the Yamaha's sound. For same reason, moved the streaming Roku to the TV. I primarily want to watch (and hear) movies, either via Roku/Netflix or the DVD player, and Pandora via Roku. Nothing I hook up to the Yamaha gets past the blank screen, nor does any sound go to the Yamaha speakers. The TV recognizes other inputs (Roku, DVD player) and it shows the Yamaha, but goes blank if I switch to the Yamaha.

Hamguy

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert
Additional symptom: When things were hooked up to the Yamaha, and I switched through the inputs using the remote, HDMI 1, HDMI 2, etc showed on the screen but none of the Yamaha inputs were named. When I first began using the Yamaha, all inputs (DVD, Roku, TV) were identified.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Thanks for the responses. Here's my response: I've swapped HDMI cables on the ARC channel, no change. Moved the DVD player to the TV so can still watch movies, but without the Yamaha's sound. For same reason, moved the streaming Roku to the TV. I primarily want to watch (and hear) movies, either via Roku/Netflix or the DVD player, and Pandora via Roku. Nothing I hook up to the Yamaha gets past the blank screen, nor does any sound go to the Yamaha speakers. The TV recognizes other inputs (Roku, DVD player) and it shows the Yamaha, but goes blank if I switch to the Yamaha.
Not sure if you read/understood my previous response so I'll try again. Since the Yamaha's menus are being displayed we know the cable is passing basic video. When receivers overlay their menu onto a screen they must usually disable any video processing and change to the resolution/refresh rate of the menu system. Again, based on the information you've supplied, this is all working. That strongly suggests the issue is with the resolution/refresh rate the Yamaha is sending via its video processing settings.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Nothing I hook up to the Yamaha gets past the blank screen, nor does any sound go to the Yamaha speakers.
Something is wrong there. Even if the screen goes blank, there should be audio when something is playing through that input.

I still feel like something isn't being done right with the connections.

BTW, with all the sources you mention, there is no need to use ARC. I'd connect everything to the receiver and then connect the receiver to the TV on a different input than the ARC one. See what happens.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Not sure if you read/understood my previous response so I'll try again. Since the Yamaha's menus are being displayed we know the cable passing basic video. When receivers overlay their menu onto a screen they must usually disable any video processing and change to the resolution/refresh rate of the menu system. Again, based on the information you've supplied, this is all working. That strongly suggests the issue is with the resolution/refresh rate the Yamaha is sending via its video processing settings.
I was wondering if the setup and options screen mentioned in the initial post were actually those of the TV, not the receiver. Reading it again, it's not entirely clear.

Hamguy

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert
Negative. I've arranged for a home theater representative to take a look. If it's something that can be straightened out, great. If it's a faulty receiver, I'll see if it can be handled under warranty. Thanks to all who responded to my question.

JeffinSalem

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff
I had a similar issue when installing Nvidia Shield TV with an 8k TV on my RX-V6A. Go into the settings and go the HDMI > HDMI Video Format. It needs to match your TV resolution and hertz. 4K Mode 1 was not working for me. Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation483
Recent bookmarks