What's new

Optical to HDMI??? (1 Viewer)

MonkeyCam

Auditioning
Real Name
Bryan
I'm a first-time poster here and not very tech savvy, so please bear with me.

I have a home theater set-up that's about 14 yrs. old & was pretty darn good when I 1st got it. I had an optical cable connecting my Yamaha receiver (HTR-5730) to my Sony Bravia TV. Today I replaced the TV with a Samsung AU8000. The problem is that there's no optical port on the TV & no HDMI port on the receiver. Is there a work-around for this, like an adapter or something? If not, then what's my best option at this point?

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you are wanting to send audio from the TV to the receiver, those won't work. Those are hdmi to optical extractors, but you need an ARC/eARC to optical extractor. I have no idea how well those work, but that is what you need.

Something like THIS.

It would be better if you told us what equipment you have and how it's connected.

Wardog555

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fraser
Replace receiver as it's no longer compatible. Easy and simplest solution. And you have full capabilities of today's modern audio formats.

MonkeyCam

Auditioning
Real Name
Bryan
Ugh. I already ordered one of the items the 1st person to reply told me about. :huh: Could someone recommend a decent receiver? I used to be up on this stuff but haven't messed with it in over a decade at this point. For reference, this is the exact system that I have. You can click on the 2 pics of the box to see the specs. of the equipment: https://www.ebay.com/itm/353692921317

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Are you sure there's no optical out on the new TV? It seems to be listed in the specs at the Samsung web site:

1673205543601.png

1673205674617.png

https://www.samsung.com/us/televisi...ystal-uhd-smart-tv-2021-un55au8000fxza/#specs

MonkeyCam

Auditioning
Real Name
Bryan
I'm experiencing two strong emotions at present, one negative, one positive: embarrassment and relief. It's a strange feeling. :) I can't believe I missed that ^^^. In my defense, that port is kind of camouflaged, and the back of the TV is in a tough-to-access spot. Also, I know that optical is an older technology that's dying out, so I just assumed that a new TV wouldn't have it. What's that old saying about assuming things . . . although in this case I'm pretty sure I only made an ass of myself. :D

Thanks to everybody who offered their help, but the Cuban cigar definitely goes to Malcolm R. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Sorry about the initial misdirection. Hopefully it's from a place with an easy return policy.

I should have looked at the Specs on teh TV -- usually I do at least look at the connections, but glad Malcolm decided to do the detail check.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Are you sure there's no optical out on the new TV? It seems to be listed in the specs at the Samsung web site:

View attachment 170682

View attachment 170683

https://www.samsung.com/us/televisi...ystal-uhd-smart-tv-2021-un55au8000fxza/#specs
I'm glad you looked further into that. I've never heard of any current TV that didn't have an optical output, but I just have too many things on my plate at the moment to look into it enough. I did a quick look, and didn't see one with the other connections, but didn't notice it next to that one hdmi.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm experiencing two strong emotions at present, one negative, one positive: embarrassment and relief. It's a strange feeling. :) I can't believe I missed that ^^^. In my defense, that port is kind of camouflaged, and the back of the TV is in a tough-to-access spot. Also, I know that optical is an older technology that's dying out, so I just assumed that a new TV wouldn't have it. What's that old saying about assuming things . . . although in this case I'm pretty sure I only made an ass of myself. :D

Thanks to everybody who offered their help, but the Cuban cigar definitely goes to Malcolm R. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Optical audio connections aren't going away any time soon. They're no longer the primary way to carry audio, but still common and critical.

MonkeyCam

Auditioning
Real Name
Bryan
Sorry about the initial misdirection. Hopefully it's from a place with an easy return policy.

I should have looked at the Specs on teh TV -- usually I do at least look at the connections, but glad Malcolm decided to do the detail check.
Don't worry about it. I ordered from Amazon, so returning it should be easy. If I'd been paying closer attention, then there wouldn't have been a problem to begin with.

Rsnfunky

Auditioning
Real Name
Rohit Nanda
A quick question) does your AU8000 TV provide a 5.1 channel optical output or a 2 channel output?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks