What's new

Need help picking speakers and sub (1 Viewer)

Briklynd

Auditioning
Real Name
Briklynd
Im new to this whole home theatre seen, and I might be a little out of my league on this forum but I need some advice. I am looking to purchase a set of speakers and a subwoofer to go along with my Pioneer VSX D608 reciever, not exactly new technology but im hoping it will work fine. I went to best buy the other day and I listened to various speakers, and they talked me into wanting these mirage v2 bookshelf speakers that run $259 a piece and a powered subwoofer(not sure which one but it was about 400 for a 10in 200W powered). SO when I came home and looked it all up on ebay I found that I can get the pair of mirage V2 speakers for around 300 and a buddy of mine has a dayton 120 12inch powered sub that he swears by, they run about 150+shipping. So that is what I was leaning towards right now, however I would appreciate some feedback on what the experts think of these iteams and what you would reccomend in that price range. Please keep in mind that I am trying to stay away from the big bulky speakers I used to have a pair of cerwin vegas but they wouldnt look very good next to a nice thin plasma mounted on the wall.

Thanks

Briklynd

Briklynd

Auditioning
Real Name
Briklynd
Any ideas? im really unshure of what type of subwoofer to get aswell. I would like a good sub for less than $300 and the lower the better, but I was reading though other posts and most of the subs discussed cant be had for less than $700. The room that its all going in is roughly 10' by 14'. Im just looking for an introductory basic system that I can uprgrade later.

hodedofome

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Smith
So what's your total budget? How many speakers do you need? 5.1, 3.1?

Briklynd

Auditioning
Real Name
Briklynd
I am wanting to stay below $500. My intentions were to buy a nice set of bookshelf speakers and a decient subwoofer for now and later add a set of front floor speakers and rotate the bookshelves to the rear. My current reciever can support a 5.1 100 watts x 5 however I think I will just run the bookshelves in stereo and the sub on the preout of of its own built in amp.

Barry_B_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Barry
You might be able to swing an Athena setup with your budget, check audioadvisor.com

Briklynd

Auditioning
Real Name
Briklynd
Which speakers or subs would you recomend? I could even possibly stretch my budget I just need an idea where to start. As I said these are going in a bedroom so I dont need anything to fancy I just want good sound in a relatively small package for the speakers. Then a decent subwoofer. I plan on upgrading the reciever later as well as purchasing some tower floor speakers. So far I was interested in the athena or mirage tower speakers for later.

Barry_B_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Barry
When I was looking for a bookshelf set the ATASB1.2 $99/pr was on my short list, but the ATLS100 $199/pr looks a bit more stylish to me. A co-worker swears by his Micra setup but I prefer the bigger bookshelf sound even with a sub. The 12" ATASP6000 is on sale as are the bookshelves; but if you can stretch the budget a bit I would look into the SVS PB10-ISD, $429 plus shipping to your area. Either bookshelf and the SVS would be my choice, generous return policies let you try them out in your home and send back if you don't like them.

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
i'd definitely go for the b1.2's over the ls's. athena are great value. for the sub, if you can swing it, the monitor audio asw100 for $300 or less from saturdayaudio.com sounds great and is perfect for a small room.

Briklynd

Auditioning
Real Name
Briklynd
Ok ive got a few more questions I looked into the athena speakers and both the b1.2 and the ls 100 look like nice speakers however they are a little larger than I was hoping for. I like the ASR 1.2 or the AT WS 15s just for there size and because they can be monted on the wall next to my flat sreen tv relatively easily. What do you think about those?

I have also been looking into these subwoofers and trying to learn as much as possible. My understanding is that I want one with a low frequecy responce around 30hz or lower because then the sub will pick up the natural sounds of a car door shutting and not just explosions and gun shots. That being said I also want to use this setup for listening to music in my bedroom. So I have been looking all over ebay and other sites at the velodyne and the def tech subs most of which are more than I want to spend. I came accross some suwoofers from cerwin vega which were all the rage ten years ago when I was into having a nice home stereo. A CLS 15s it has a 15inch driver with a 25hz-150khz response and a 200watt RMS amplifier. They also have a home theatre subwoofer, the CVHD 12 inch sub with a 250 watt rms amplifier and a 28hz to 150 Khz frequency response. I know this might be a stretch from the entry level high end subwoofers that were recomended but I thought I would ask what the big differences would be as I can buy either of these two subs for 300 shipped and the SVS PB10-ISD is 130 + shipping more expensive. So what do you think?

Barry_B_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Barry
Most good subs will reach 30Hz with decent output, and most music doesn't go much lower than that (beware pipe organs and synthesized bass as they will). Continue searching the forum for the brands you're interested in and you'll find opinions. Sorry, don't know much at all about Cerwin Vega for home theater or those wall mounts.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks