What's new

Need Audigy 2 SPDIF help (1 Viewer)

Mark_Su

Agent
Right now I'm using the digital cd cable that came with the card to hook the card up to my DVD drive. However, in creative mixer, when I mute CD Audio and enable Digital CD audio, I get no sound. I get sound when I use CD Audio, but I assume it's analog. I'm pretty sure all the software is configured correctly, and I think it might be a hardware issue. The SPDIF connector on the Audigy 2 board is at a weird angle and not completely soldered to the board. Could this be the reason my digital CD output isn't working? Is there a way to test this? If I could get a response ASAP I'd really appreciate it being that the return period on this thing expires the day after tomorrow. Thanks!

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Nowadays the "digital audio out" cable on CD-ROMs and DVD-ROMs are useless, or at least unnecessary, because the PC can read the audio data through the IDE cable. There should be an option in your audio player software to get the audio digitally that way, without the need of attaching an extra cable to the soundcard from the CD/DVD-ROM.

I'm assuming you're only testing with audio CDs. DVDs do not pass audio through the DVD-ROM connector at all.

Not sure if this helps you...I don't know what motherboard and chipset you are using. It might be too old (circa 1998) to pass audio through the IDE cable.

Mark_Su

Agent
Hmm...thanks Max I have a better understanding now. Do you know how to set it so Winamp will get the CD audio digitally? No matter what I do I still can't seem to get dedicated digital output through the Audigy surround mixer.

PS: I'm using a Dell that's about a year old. I disconnected all cables between the Audigy and the DVD drive and I get sound while playing Audio CDs, however I think the signla is still analog.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eliedisdisusa
Recent bookmarks