What's new

Need a PC Cable (1 Viewer)

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
I am looking for a certain cable... if it even exists I would sure appreciate a link where it could be bought.

I am looking for a cable that can go from my Audigy 2 ZS SPDIF out into my Home Theater Reciever's digital input, either Toslink or Coaxal. So I need a plug that is kind of like a stereo mini plug on one end, and a single plug optical/coaxl on the other.

Any help, thank you very much!

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
Kinda... but not sure that is it exactly. The SPDIF plug on the soundcard is a standard sound card plug.... same format as the other plugs, namely stereo Mini Jacks... you know likw you use to plug in a set of headphones or PC speakers. I have 3 line ins, mic of course, line out, and the SPDIF.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
You should be able to use a Radio Shack RCA coaxial cable and an RCA to 1/8" adapter. Check your soundcard's manual just to be sure.

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
yeah it will, digital pulses over any medium are still digital pulses. All you need to do is use a standard RCA connector (which is all digital coax is really) and just use a mono to RCA adapter that you can buy from the ratshack.

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
Jesse and Rob are correct, I used to do the exact same thing when I still had an Audigy: normal mono coax cable with a 1/8" mono adapter at one end to plug into the soundcard.

-Christian

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
Hey guys, I thought I would revisit this thread instead of making a new one. I got a new LCD TV recently which is nicely hooked up to my computer but now I wanna get the PC SOUND hooked up to my receiever so my whole PC sound and video is on my HT. :)

Anyway I have been a little confused. Will a Mini Optical Plug work in my sound card? I always though optical was special, and used light and would only plug into a special plug. Does the mini optical basically make it work in any 3.5 mm jack? (AKA the SPDIF on my Audigy ZS 2?

If that's so, then http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...t=1#largeimage would do just the trick am I right?

I also found http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/RCA-mini-spdif.html but it seems to be alot more, as I would need about 12 feet. My Receiver does have spare Coaxal AND Toslink plugs so either would work as far as my reciever is concerned.

I tried this I also wanted to mention. I just took one side of a stereo standard RCA cable and bought the adapter to make RCA into a Miniplug. (It's a MONO miniplug, if that matters.)

The thing is, it didn't work like I thought. If I put a DVD in my PC, load up my DVD player software and use SPDIF passthrough and then set the soundcard itself to passthrough the signal goes to my HT reciever and plays in 5.1 no problem. The little sony multichannel light comes on and all that.

The thing I am confused about is when I play anything ELSE from my computer to my receiever it ONLY plays it in stereo no matter what I do. Just 2 speaker stereo, not even stereo + the sub. The reveiever cant -or wont- even upconvert it to prologic. When I press any of my receivers sound buttons, AFD (Auto format decode) Normal surround, etc, the reciever says "Not in use."

I would like to have the option to have my PC games in Pro Logic, like World of Warcraft for example. Is there a setting I have wrong... or is this simply the way it is going to work? Just really odd my receiver will not do anything with the PC's sound signal unless it's 5.1. It plays 2.0 sound DVDs just fine when I watch old TV shows on DVD. (Play them from my DVD player normally, not my PC's DVD just to be clear.)

Thanks

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
This should be no different than if you play a CD over a digital connection. All the receiver sees is two (digital) stereo signals. 2.0 DVDs are different because that's an AC-3 bitstream that specifically has a flag saying whether it's Surround encoded (which is hopefully set correctly). The receiver may forbid manual overrides of a digital source -- it seems to be saying that as far as it can tell, surround sound is "not in use". With analog, there is no place to include a flag one way or the other; all you have are the two analog signals. So there, you get the option.

If you just want to be "surrounded by sound" you may have better luck with a four- or five-speaker stereo mode, if your receiver has it.

When a PC game has multi-channel audio, they directly drive each channel. To get that audio across into your home theater through a single digital connection, something needs to encode it into Dolby Digital (or I guess DTS, although I've never heard of one).

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
Well my reciever is set to use the Sub in every other mode and it doesn't have different settings for different connections (Optical, RCA, Toslink etc.)

When I play a CD like you mentioned, it can use all the Receievers sound fields just fine. (Sony recievers have a million of them.) Everything from ProLogic to The Church Effect and so on. It just will not do anything with the stereo signal from my SPDIF from my PC, unless like I said I use a DVD and passthrough everything to my reciecer and it plays the DVD in 5.1 just fine.

I've never ever had my receiver give me that "Not in use" message before.

Would getting the Toslink cable I linked work though or do I need the Coaxal one? Like I said, I think I might of misundersood the Minioptical plug. Will those work in my soundcard's SPDIF Mini 3.5mm plug?

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
So would that mini optical work in the spdif out of my Audigy 2 ZS or do I need the coaxal one? I know my plug on the sound card is an SPDIF, but it's just a standard mini 3.5 as far as I know and not optical. Optical plugs are very specific are they not?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks