What's new

Repurposing old PC speakers for home theatre setup (1 Viewer)

mtycholaz

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
Hello all, I'm new to the community. Just doing a basement reno, and found in storage that I have 5 satellite speakers from the Logictech z680 system. Speakers are old, but they still work. The controller and sub broke a while back (which is why they're in storage). I wanted purchase a AV receiver and hook them up. After speaking to a friend though, he mentioned that speakers need to have proper power, ohems, etc so that you don't wreak the receiver or the speaker.

All new to me. I have have no idea what the speakers are capable of. The info I found says they're capable of 1000W combined. I guess I just want to know if I can buy any receiver to hook them up to. I already have 16 gauge cable for them. No sub woofer yet.

Thanks in advance.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
You’ll need to check the speakers with an ohm meter to see what their nominal impedance is. If it’s in the 6-8 ohm range, you’re good to go. If they’re 4 ohms, that will require a higher-end AVR.

Keep in mind that these speakers probably can’t handle a lot of power. If you like watching at movie-theater volume levels, it might toast them.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

mtycholaz

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
You’ll need to check the speakers with an ohm meter to see what their nominal impedance is. If it’s in the 6-8 ohm range, you’re good to go. If they’re 4 ohms, that will require a higher-end AVR.

Keep in mind that these speakers probably can’t handle a lot of power. If you like watching at movie-theater volume levels, it might toast them.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Thanks Wayne. I'm going to look into doing that. I found this specification here https://www.cnet.com/products/logitech-z-680/specs/

It mentions that they have a nominal impedance of 10 KOhm. Pardon my ignorance, but would that mean that I'm good to go with any receiver? Speakers also appear to do 62W each.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Something is wrong there. No speaker has an impedance of thousands of ohms. They are typically between 2-16 ohms.

You should check them with an ohm meter.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That’s the input impedance of the amplifier that Doesn’t work. Don’t be fooled by the supposed 505 watt rating.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I checked out a few pics of this unit. Without the controller I believe the speakers are useless as they are not designed for use with an A/V receiver. These are PC speakers.

1588200127606.png

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
The speakers are just normal wire. They actually hook up into the back of the sub. Check this image out for clarity.

z680-sub2.jpg

Well that's a horse of a different color! My mistake. As @Wayne A. Pflughaupt originally suggested, I would use an ohmmeter to determine nominal impedance. Paired with a decent sub you might be fine for your needs.

mtycholaz

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
Well that's a horse of a different color! My mistake. As @Wayne A. Pflughaupt originally suggested, I would use an ohmmeter to determine nominal impedance. Paired with a decent sub you might be fine for your needs.
Yes, somewhere in my basement reno I have a ohmmeter (I think, or maybe it's a multimeter?). Once I find it I'll post my findings.

mtycholaz

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
After searching my entire basement, I finally found my multimeter in the garage. Looks like the speaker is rated for 8ohms, so I should be good to go to use these. Now I just need a AVR to plug them into. I'll probably wait until Black Friday, unless I can find a good entry one that suits my needs/budget.

20200521_081659.jpg

mtycholaz

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Just don't expect much from those speakers. Computer speakers are generally designed for near-field use, and not to fill a room. I expect they'll be easy to fry using them for HT.

mtycholaz

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
Just don't expect much from those speakers. Computer speakers are generally designed for near-field use, and not to fill a room. I expect they'll be easy to fry using them for HT.

They actually work amazing!! These computer speakers weren't cheap ($600) when I bought them 15 years ago. They still work amazing for me.

This is the receiver I got. It's a shit disturber! I hooked up just one speaker and at 70% volume it sounded amazing! Really loud too!

20200603_213805.jpg

Basement room isn't fully finished, but the feature wall is.

20200603_222219.jpg

Audio & HDMI cables put into the wall, which come out in the corner.

20200604_083602.jpg

This little guy can put out. I can't wait until I get the other 4 hooked up.

20200604_083609.jpg

Mess of cables I still need to finish running.

20200604_083731.jpg

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Looking good!

I used satellite speakers for my home theater for a few years (Harman/Kardon's) and I was very satisfied. Sure, I'd never go back; but it's not as bad as people make out. They will suck for music though.

I assume you'll be using a sub? If not, you should consider it. I mean a lot.

mtycholaz

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
Looking good!

I used satellite speakers for my home theater for a few years (Harman/Kardon's) and I was very satisfied. Sure, I'd never go back; but it's not as bad as people make out. They will suck for music though.

I assume you'll be using a sub? If not, you should consider it. I mean a lot.

The whole reason these speakers went into storage was because the sub died. I don't have one now, but Black Friday is coming :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks