What's new

Noob question (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Rick Austinson
Hi folks,

So on the advice of this helpful forum I went and got a ONKYO HT-S5800 "home theater in a box" system. Finally got the last of the cables for it threaded today. I use a PC as my video source, so I attached the optical cable from my sound card to TV port on the reciever, and after some futzing to get the computer set to the right output, it worked! I of course immediately set about testing it in the only way the gods of technology would allow: by blasting mid-90s j-pop(don't ask, I've been testing my sound systems this way for 20 years and long ago forgot why). Without even having done any calibration/leveling I can tell it's going to do exactly what I need; I get good clear lows and not terribly loud highs. So success there.

However... I'm not even sure how to go about asking this, but it *looks* like it's designed such that sound and video sources are tied together; meaning I can't set it to the optical "tv" input while running a video signal through one of the HDMI ports. I'd be fine with this - except it looks as if I need a display to access the more advanced on-screen features(like the auto-calibration I bought it for). I'm sure this is the dumbest question anyone's ever posted, but I'm not really sure what to do here.

Thank you for your patience.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Doesn't the hdmi output on your computer also output audio?

Real Name
Rick Austinson
The HDMI output is not always attached to the TV. I frequently run with the TV off and using one of the monitors on my desk as a TV, hence the need to use a sound card.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18
Recent bookmarks