What's new

Questions about hooking up an Apple TV to a POWERNODE (1 Viewer)

Nickbee

Auditioning
Real Name
Nick
Hi All!

I'm excited to be on this forum. I recently upgraded my speakers in my modest set up to KEF LS50 Meta.

I quickly realized it was time to upgrade my amp, and since I only have a two-speaker set up I went with the POWERNODE as it meets my current needs with some room to expand later, for example, some wireless rear speakers and/or a powered sub.

My Apple TV is the only HDMI source I need to worry about and my TV is an older Sony which only has an optical as an audio out (no eARC).

So my question is what are the pros and cons of going with just the optical out from the TV or using an HDFury Arcana to split off an eARC signal into my POWERNODE?

I think the eARC format would be more future proof for lossless audio once I add more speakers? In just stereo mode would there be a noticeable difference in quality with this setup?

And as a silly NOOB question could I "just" use an HDMI splitter to go from the Apple TV to both the TV and POWERNODE? My guess is no, or there would be no need for the Arcana?

Thanks al!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The POWERNODE seems like kind of a limited and expensive solution for a video source, since it appears to be strictly limited to two channel. Though it does have an output for a powered subwoofer. You state about wireless rear speakers, but I hope you're not under the impression it can do surround sound. It can only distribute two channels to wireless speakers for use around the house. It does not have any surround capability. I'm not certain the additional cost of the Arcana is worth it, since the system is limited to two channel.

Honestly, it seems to me that a surround receiver would have made more sense and could have been significantly less expensive. It would eliminate the need to spend an extra $250 to plug in the AppleTV, and you would have audio processing intended for video sources like the AppleTV. Surround receivers can be configured for any number of channels up to their limit.

Nickbee

Auditioning
Real Name
Nick
Thanks for the reply @JohnRice

The surround capability might be a newish feature of the POWERNODE. I’m very new to this device so I’m not sure.

With all that being said I’m most likely sticking to a 2 channel set up for a while (1-2 years).

I’m ok spending the 250 on the adapter if there is some advantage in 2 channel mode and it future proofs my surround to lossless. This is what I’m trying to figure out :)

Thanks all!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Just use the tv optical out since you’re using two channel.

why spend money to get two channel if you’ve got free two channel output?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks