What's new

Pre-Order PHE Press Release: My Fair Lady (1964) (4k UHD) (1 Viewer)

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
It's been long enough since I've seen the movie that I picture Professor Higgins in his chair listening to Harry Nilsson.
1613370911788.png

;)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Except that "I can't LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE if living is without you" is the exact opposite sentiment of Lerner & Loewe's song.

Mark Mayes

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Mayes
When I was video buyer at Virgin Sunset, we had a big in-store for MFL's laser release. It was a solid success.
I kept my box set and the swag. But I still have several of the posters that we used for the promotion. As refreshing as it was to see Hepburn being featured, I was then and am now, a big fan of the Peak poster and hope we get it back. I copied the WB SE to use for the first blu-ray release.

But the second release did not lend itself to that, nor did I feel it was necessary. But this time...wouldn't it be loverly if they used the Peak artwork?!?

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Yes I remember being at a sales meeting at Sony when the new cd was being presented and disappointed that the Peak work was not being used. Somebody that I noted it to claimed that the Peak work was hopelessly dated. I still prefer it.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Why must we wait until May?

Wish all release announcements were made only one month prior to street dates.

Day One purchase; but only if reviewers Hunt, Harris, HiDef and Hough are all unanimous and give this 4K their highest of grades.

Last edited:

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I forgot that Theodore Bikel was in MFL TMP as his role in TSOM TMP was played by the recently late Christopher Plummer ...

Another coincidence in casting happened here when they brought in Marni Nixon. She had already dubbed Deborah Kerr in The King and I while Rex Harrison had played the king in 1946's Anna and the King of Siam at Fox. His role the following year in The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, also at Fox, put him with Robert Coote, who later originated the role of Col. Pickering on Broadway.

It also reunited Audrey Hepburn with Stanley Holloway; one of her first films was Ealing's The Lavender Hill Mob.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Another coincidence in casting happened here when they brought in Marni Nixon. She had already dubbed Deborah Kerr in The King and I while Rex Harrison had played the king in 1946's Anna and the King of Siam at Fox. His role the following year in The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, also at Fox, put him with Robert Coote, who later originated the role of Col. Pickering on Broadway.
Well Marni was second to nun
1613544755213.png

;)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
The practice of using separate singers in animated musicals continued into the 1990s when she did the musical parts for Grandma Fa in Mulan, for whom June Foray did the speaking voice.

I remember something like this happening 10 years ago. The old Blu-ray that used the same source for the DVD came out to unenthusiastic reviews while Breakfast at Tiffany's got the

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Mine was a shot of Higgins seated in a large chair in his mother's house during "Without You."
If memory serves, my set has a clip of the last shot of the film- Eliza standing behind Higgins’s chair while his hat is pulled over his face.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Didn't Audrey do the original soundtrack and they over dubbed in Marni Nixon after the fact ? I think Shirley MacLaine would have been another great choice since, Warner's wasn't interested in Julie Andrews. Of course I would have preferred Julie as the first choice. Have grown to love Audrey, was her voice that horrible ? Did they release a CD with extra tracks of Audrey singing the songs from the film ?
92fa3ecbe700fe7e5235b4c671265cd8.jpg

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Didn't Audrey do the original soundtrack and they over dubbed in Marni Nixon after the fact ? I think Shirley MacLaine would have been another great choice since, Warner's wasn't interested in Julie Andrews. Of course I would have preferred Julie as the first choice. Have grown to love Audrey, was her voice that horrible ? Did they release a CD with extra tracks of Audrey singing the songs from the film ?

Julie was passed over because she wasn't the star she'd become with Mary Poppins that same year. Audrey was more known and would draw audiences to the theaters. Audrey's vocals were included on the 30th Anniversary soundtrack.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Didn't Audrey do the original soundtrack and they over dubbed in Marni Nixon after the fact ? I think Shirley MacLaine would have been another great choice since, Warner's wasn't interested in Julie Andrews. Of course I would have preferred Julie as the first choice. Have grown to love Audrey, was her voice that horrible ? Did they release a CD with extra tracks of Audrey singing the songs from the film ? View attachment 89274
The tracks, also on the laser, were created from a multitude of piano tests. There were never final vocal tracks.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Julie was passed over because she wasn't the star she'd become with Mary Poppins that same year. Audrey was more known and would draw audiences to the theaters. Audrey's vocals were included on the 30th Anniversary soundtrack.
How were Audrey's vocals have never heard them ?? TCM last month and I caught it half through and fell in love all over again, Audrey was magnificent. I saw this originally as a child and loved the film, never realizing it was not Audrey signing. When I was older I realized she was dubbed it was a huge disappointment. I still do not understand why many Actresses were chosen that could not sing to star in musical roles.
There were many actresses at the time that could have done "King And I" for example Judy Garland, Doris Day, Betty Hutton, Mitzi Gaynor, or Grace Kelly to name a few......
Then there's "West Side Story", was Natalie Wood's voice that bad ?? Why not Connie Francis as Maria, she certainly had the chops and could have taken on Maria.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
How were Audrey's vocals have never heard them ?? TCM last month and I caught it half through and fell in love all over again, Audrey was magnificent. I saw this originally as a child and loved the film, never realizing it was not Audrey signing. When I was older I realized she was dubbed it was a huge disappointment. I still do not understand why many Actresses were chosen that could not sing to star in musical roles.
There were many actresses at the time that could have done "King And I" for example Judy Garland, Doris Day, Betty Hutton, Mitzi Gaynor, or Grace Kelly to name a few......
Then there's "West Side Story", was Natalie Wood's voice that bad ?? Why not Connie Francis as Maria, she certainly had the chops and could have taken on Maria.

Here's she is singing Wouldn't It Be Loverly and Without You.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks