What's new

Pre-Order PHE Press Release: My Fair Lady (1964) (4k UHD) (1 Viewer)

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I sympathise. I lost my beautiful Jack Russell, Calypso, earlier this year. She had just turned 5, and had a sudden heart attack after choking on some food. She died in my arms. Such grief.
Fortunately, our little replacement, Plum, is filling the void somewhat. We didn't wait to find a new little Jack Russell, because at our age, who has time to wait?

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I want this to be great(the bluray does not play correctly on my LG TV) but the itunes is so poor and Robert Harris had nothing to do with this release. What is wrong with the people who do theses things? Do they fail up and then get to exhibit their incompetence?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I want this to be great(the bluray does not play correctly on my LG TV) but the itunes is so poor and Robert Harris had nothing to do with this release. What is wrong with the people who do theses things? Do they fail up and then get to exhibit their incompetence?
Which Blu-ray plays incorrectly on your LG, and what are your player and LG models?

If it’s the 2015 SE or 2019, it should be perfect.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
The DVD is the 50th anniversary MFL bluray.

It is this tv.

2020 LG - 86" Class UN8500 Series LED 4K UHD Smart webOS TV​

It is the only DVD I have had a problem with on this tv. My luck it had to be this one.
The picture is fine. It is the sound that distorts at certain points. It starts at the end of the main titles and gets very bad during Wouldn't it be Loverly and Ascot Gavotte. It also appears randomly through the film.
I have tried two different discs and two different makes of bluray players(Sony and a LG 4k). I have played it both through just the TV and just through my stereo system. The exact same sound problems in the exact same places so it has to be the TV itself. It is picking up on something. I had a Sony 65 inch and the disc played perfectly.
I am almost tempted to buy the upcoming Paramount best picture box set hoping it will be a different pressing. Funny how they acknowledge your work at the end of the itunes copy and then manage to undo some of it! Very frustrating. As I've already noted they managed to cast a pall over it. It doesn't come alive the way the bluray does. Maybe it's a matter of streaming. I don't do it much as I prefer hard copies.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The DVD is the 50th anniversary MFL bluray.

It is this tv.

2020 LG - 86" Class UN8500 Series LED 4K UHD Smart webOS TV​

It is the only DVD I have had a problem with on this tv. My luck it had to be this one.
The picture is fine. It is the sound that distorts at certain points. It starts at the end of the main titles and gets very bad during Wouldn't it be Loverly and Ascot Gavotte. It also appears randomly through the film.
I have tried two different discs and two different makes of bluray players(Sony and a LG 4k). I have played it both through just the TV and just through my stereo system. The exact same sound problems in the exact same places so it has to be the TV itself. It is picking up on something. I had a Sony 65 inch and the disc played perfectly.
I am almost tempted to buy the upcoming Paramount best picture box set hoping it will be a different pressing. Funny how they acknowledge your work at the end of the itunes copy and then manage to undo some of it! Very frustrating. As I've already noted they managed to cast a pall over it. It doesn't come alive the way the bluray does. Maybe it's a matter of streaming. I don't do it much as I prefer hard copies.
Is your system reading the audio as 48 or 96kHz? This is one of the few discs to use full 96.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I have no idea. Maybe I need to check this out. I didn't think I needed to be concerned about such a thing. I thought you just stick a disc in your player and hit play. I guess I'll have to see if I can make some sort of audio adjustment. This should be interesting.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I think that 1964 movie artwork from Bob Peak is classic. I very much admire Peak’s artwork and the style he created during that period. The new 4K disc should be using that art I think. But yes, include the umbrella. I must confess, I still have not seen My Fair Lady. I might have seen scenes as a kid. I do own the blu ray, but maybe I’ll wait to see it on this new disc. :)

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
This German poster simplifies the original poster to just Audrey, Rex, and umbrella.

1613244184584.png

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I never thought the original movie image of Eliza looked much like Audrey Hepburn while Higgins looks exactly like Rex Harrison. I think the original Al Hirschfeld sketch for the Broadway production was much better though Eliza in this sketch doesn't resemble Julie Andrews ether.

1613245641741.png

Last edited:
  • Agreed
Reactions: PMF

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I have no idea. Maybe I need to check this out. I didn't think I needed to be concerned about such a thing. I thought you just stick a disc in your player and hit play. I guess I'll have to see if I can make some sort of audio adjustment. This should be interesting.
If your processor does not permit decode of 96, you may need to select an alternate audio stream.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
1964 artwork. Interesting how Audrey and Julie both ended up with umbrellas of their own. Coincidence?:)

Last edited:

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I never though the original movie image of Eliza looked much like Audrey Hepburn while Higgins looks exactly like Rex Harrison. I think the original Al Hirschfeld sketch for the Broadway production was much better though Eliza in this sketch doesn't resemble Julie Andrews ether.

View attachment 88945

Look again at the poster and then tell me that those aren't Audrey's eyes.

Here's a better image of the original Al Hirschfeld poster. You can better see Julie's face.

1613246009037.png

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
If your processor does not permit decode of 96, you may need to select an alternate audio stream.

I'm not quite sure how to do that. Is the processor in the TV itself? All I could find on the disc itself was the 7.1 mix. On the TV under sound settings I could find things like optical and 'TV and optical' and there were things like UHD and bluetooth. Where would I find the audio streams?

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
This German poster simplifies the original poster to just Audrey, Rex, and umbrella.

View attachment 88943

It's funny to see 20th Century Fox's logo on the film when they owned the home video rights throughout the 1980s and 1990s up until WB released the first DVD with the Robert Harris, Gene Allen, and Marni Nixon audio commentary.

Six different home video companies in the US have released the film by now. The first was MGM/CBS all the way back in 1980 with the VHS/Beta release, and they kept the Bob Peak poster. Ironically, it was not until the 1994 restoration that they used something else.

my-fair-lady-23765l.jpg

Its CED release was under MGM/CBS's control, but when it debuted on laserdisc 1983 it was now licensed to CBS/Fox. A Japanese release from 1986 did something interesting with the cover art.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
1964. Interesting that both Audrey and Julie were each given an umbrella of their own. What’s up with that?:rolleyes:
Maybe bacause it was a parasol ;)? ... I don't know ... but I forgot that Theodore Bikel was in MFL TMP as his role in TSOM TMP was played by the recently late Christopher Plummer ...

1613273642063.png

Last edited:

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Another actor was first choice as Karpathy in the film before Bikel and I wish I could remember who it was.
Also on its original release the Peak cover art was surrounded by black as seen here on its premiere engagement at the Criterion in Times Square. When it was rereleased in '71 at the Criterion the cover art filled the marquee with no black framing. I wish I had a photo of that.
This must be either January or February '65 because of the weather and the film had yet to win the Oscar but had already won the NY film critics best picture award at least from what I can glean from the photo.

Attachments

• mfl.jpg
    mfl.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 63

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks