Music recommendations??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff-Watson, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Jeff-Watson

Jeff-Watson Stunt Coordinator

I am extatic over the sound of the Polk setup I have just finished on my very modest budget. Just curious what everyone loves to pop in the player to showcase the musical capabilities of your speakers? (dvd,cd,etc) What do you all recommend in the way of artists to really wow me musically? I have some favorites of course ( Sade,Pink Floyd, The Eagles) but just wondering what everyones favorite material from any genre is as I am looking for new music this weekend. Post away!!!! Moderators if this needs to be moved no sweat.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Diana Krall: Live in Paris (DVD). Might want to consider a search, as this has been extensively covered both here and in the music area.

FYI: Listing your gear in your signature is not permitted.

3. Jeff-Watson

Having a bad day John? As you can tell I am a little new here so forgive me for being a little green in my HTF usage. Just looking for friendly advice.[​IMG]

4. Tim Ranger

Tim Ranger Stunt Coordinator

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

6. Jeff-Watson

No problem John. Just poking a little fun at you. Thanks for the tips. I will pick up the Krall and Sade dvd this weekend. :wink:

7. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

Adding to the above list ...

DVD's:

DTS / "A Black and White Night" - Roy Orbison

The Corrs: "Live at the Royal Albert Hall"

Dave Grusin presents "West Side Story"

James Taylor: "Live @ the Beacon Theatre / NY"

DTS / Peter Frampton: "Live in Detroit"

DTS / Kylie Minogue: "Live in Sydney"

Gloria Estefan: "The Evolution Tour / Live in Miami"

DVD Audio:

"Big Phat Band - Swingin' for the Fences" - Gordon Goodwin

"Blue Man Group"

"The Corrs - In Blue"

Phil

8. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    One DVD that isn't frequently mentioned is Sessions at West 54th, Vol. 1. There are some great performances on this disc. You can also get the artist's full performance on separate discs (Keb Mo is a popular choice).

9. Scott_lb

Scott_lb Supporting Actor

I'll second the motion for James Taylor "Live at the Beacon Theater" and take it one step further- his new DVD "Pull Over" (especially "Carolina in My Mind"). I'd also recommend the newest U2 "Live from Boston" disc. On the DVD-Audio side of things, I absolutely love Queensryche's "Empire" (don't laugh). There's nothing quite like listening to "Della Brown" or "The Thin Line" in 5.1.

10. James R. Geib

James R. Geib Stunt Coordinator

Donald Fagan - "The Nightfly" on DVD-Audio (The DTS track for non-DVD-Audio players is very good.)

Bela Fleck and the Flecktones - "Live at the Quick" (DD 5.1 mix is one of my favorites for jazz.)

Eric Clapton - "24 Nights Live" (Video can be annoying, but the stereo only mix is clean and sounds great at concert volumes!)

Sade - "Lover's Live" (Video and sound quality are excellent on my system. A lot of strong bass to test your subwoofer.)

"Music for Montserrat" is an excellent collaboration of rock musicians and has a supurb DTS mix.

11. Burke Strickland

Burke Strickland Second Unit

Of course, Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the Moon" and Eagles "Hotel California" and/or "Hell Freezes Over" should already be on your list, if not permanently in your CD changer. :>)
    If you are into jazz,Mike Garson "Oxnard Sessions II" (Reference Recordings RR53 CD) is pleasing both for an engaging performance and tantalizing sound. Sonny Rollins "Way Out West" (Contemporary CON 7530) has been reissued in a 20 bit CD that almost defies credulity in its clarity and "you are there" presence -- and it was recorded over 35 years ago.
    Another album with demo-quality sound and an intriguing set of vocal performances is Jennifer Warnes "Famous Blue Raincoat" (Cypress Records -- this one is out of print in the US but import still available) in which she very effectively covers classic Leonard Cohen songs, soundinglike a serious artist instead of a pop lightweight. I first heard this one at a local dealer where they use it as a demo disc on their highest priced equipment. Sounds pretty good on my system at home; it should do well on yours too. :>)
    Holly Cole hasn't put out a bad sounding CD -- I know since I have them all :>) -- but for demoing the full range capabilities of your speakers as well as getting acquainted with her expressive talent, try "Don't Smoke In Bed" (good advice anyway, huh?) :>) (Blue Note 81198)
    My favorite pop album of all time, and a superb disc to show off the subtle performance capabilities of your system, is Joan Baez “Diamonds and Rust”, a real treasure. (A&M Records CD-3233)
    Classical music has the capability of exploring the nuances of your system’s sound as well as providing plenty of bombast to rock the rafters. Sometimes in the same recording. :>) Gustav Mahler : Symphony 1 -- Raphael Kubelik / Cinncinati Symphony is a classic reading with exquisite sound. (Polygram Records - #449735) I have at least a half dozen other performances of this work, all of which have something special to offer, but this one stands out.
    Arguably the best performance of Beethoven’s 5th Symphony is Carlos Klieber’s electrifying reading, paired on CD with his fine performance of the 7th (my favorite Beethoven symphony), both with the Vienna Philharmonic (Polygram Records - #447400)
    A standout for spectacular organ, with some really deep sub-rattling bass :>) is Pomp and Pipes -- Frederick Fennel with the Dallas Wind Symphony (Reference Records RR-58 CD) Track Four is “other worldly” – someone has described it as “Klingon music”. Kind of fun and scary at the same time. :>)
    Those are a few suggestions you probably won’t find on the “current hits” rack at Best Buy, but definitely worth looking for and listening to.
    Enjoy -
    Burke
    PS -- Gotta second the "Best of Sessions at 54th Street Vol I" DVD -- I have bought at least a half dozen CDs of performances by artists that include the songs they performed on the DVD. I also have -- and recommend -- the Keb Mo "Sessions" DVD. OTOH, you can safely skip "Best of Sessions Vol II" -- IMHBCO, it was a major step down in both recording quality and repertoire.

12. Mark R O

Mark R O Stunt Coordinator

A rarely mentioned DVD that has a couple of stellar perfomances is "MTV UNplugged". Get the one with Live, Duran Duran, The Cure and 10,000 Maniacs on it. $12.99 at BB.
    No collection should be without "Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense". This Jonathon Demme directed concert is pure fun from start to finish. Enjoy!

13. Ben_L

Ben_L Agent

Linkin Park - Reanimation DVD-Audio. Might not be everyone's cup o tea, but damn, it has some of the most impressive use of surrounds ive ever heard in a 5.1 mix. And loads of bass as well. It goes so low, it makes my crappy lil' Aiwa subwoofer sound like its just pushing air.

14. DonJ

DonJ Second Unit

The LOTR sound track it isn't pop but its pretty amazing on a good set of speakers.

15. CurtisC

CurtisC Second Unit

If you don't aready have them,steely dan's music is all very good.Two against nature dvd,best I've got out of two hundred dvd's,superb,should be a standard to evaluate system.Also the Royal Scam remastered cd,will make all your equipment work hard,and thrill your ears!

16. MikeCooper

MikeCooper Extra

An Eric Clapton live dvd will make other people envious!