Music Fan... I have $450. What can I do..?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Hanah, Dec 15, 2001.

1. Hanah

Hanah Auditioning

Oct 21, 2001
    Hi I am a music fan.. if there is a such thing! [​IMG]
    Well... I have following setup at the moment.
    1) Inkel Dolby Prologic (7 yr old amp/receiver) = probably unknown in USA. IT's made in Korea.
    2) Inkel Centre / Inkel Surrounds = I don't use them, cuz I don't like the sound of them. Not upto B&W at all.
    3) B&W 602 S2s for fronts = I love this!
    4) Audio Pro Sub Evidence active subwoofer = unknown in USA? Made in Sweden. Pretty good I have to say.
    3 and 4 were purchased last year. Pretty uptodate with decent quality. Sub was about $500US / Fronts = $500US.
    Now I have about $500US to spend.
    Don't know what to get... currently my setup is hooked upto my computer with Sound Blaster Live! 5.1
    Options are
    1) B&W Centre LCR or something + B&W DM303 for rear.
    2) New 5.1 DTS / Amplifier (can you recommend any model under $500us?)
    My computer has DVD and I watch movies, but I listen to music more often.
    I like the fact about the surround sound when I listen to music as well.
    What would you do? option 1 or option 2 or any other options?
    Please let me know..
    I await for your replies..
    Thank you and Merry Christmas to you all!
  2. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Oct 25, 2000
    I would upgrade your amp first. You say you don't like the sound of the Inkel speakers and considering your using the same make for an amp, imagine what a difference a newer 5.1 reciever would do.
    You say you like your music, listen in 2 channel with your new 5.1 amp. Perhaps pick up some used speakers or ones that match half assed to your B&Ws. If not, suffer with the Inkels for a while. Regardless, you need the heart of the system. [​IMG]
  3. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Nov 1, 2000
    If I was in your position, I would spend the money on a new receiver. Inkel?? Isn't that Sherwood's parent company?? Anyway, since you mentioned you like music more and you have some nice B&W speakers, go for a Denon or Onkyo receiver. Excellent performance either with 2 channel or full surround. Agree with Michael that you should start with the heart of the system.