What's new

Disney+ Ms. Marvel (Marvel Cinematic Universe) (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I was thinking more about it and I'm concerned about Kamala. It seems likely to me that Carol was probably pulled out of a very serious situation. It would almost be too easy, from a storytelling perspective, if she was just hanging out on the spaceship Fury was on in Far From Home. The initial reaction to the tag was everyone being happy to see Carol. But Kamala is wherever Carol just was, and I have a bad feeling about that. Not in terms of "it was a bad storytelling choice" but "Kamala might be in a very bad situation right now."

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I was thinking more about it and I'm concerned about Kamala. It seems likely to me that Carol was probably pulled out of a very serious situation. It would almost be too easy, from a storytelling perspective, if she was just hanging out on the spaceship Fury was on in Far From Home.

I thought she looked rather casual, as far as Carol goes. Something about her hair didn't look "battle ready" but instead looked "nice day off hanging with Fury". Though the gloves are certainly more of a combat thing.

It's also possible (likely?) that the "swap" isn't where we start at in The Marvels. Sort of like how the stinger at the end of Ant-Man (the scene with Bucky, Cap, and Sam, where Sam says he knows "a guy" who can help Bucky) is actually part way through Civil War.

Maybe it's something like The Marvels opens with a big battle between Carol and the Kree. Carol, victorious (of course) learns some critical piece of information. She's back on Fury's spaceship and just about to brief him on the info, when Carol and Kamala swap.

That said, maybe you're right, Jake, and it's serious. Maybe Carol has been kidnapped by the Kree and is being interrogated or something. The Kree try to use some Kree tech to neutralize Carol's powers and it instead triggers something in the bangle and that's when the swap happens.

Either way, as I wrote before, The Marvels is now my #1 anticipated MCU film! I absolutely need to know what happens next to Kamala and Carol.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
I thought she looked rather casual, as far as Carol goes. Something about her hair didn't look "battle ready" but instead looked "nice day off hanging with Fury". Though the gloves are certainly more of a combat thing.

It's also possible (likely?) that the "swap" isn't where we start at in The Marvels. Sort of like how the stinger at the end of Ant-Man (the scene with Bucky, Cap, and Sam, where Sam says he knows "a guy" who can help Bucky) is actually part way through Civil War.

Maybe it's something like The Marvels opens with a big battle between Carol and the Kree. Carol, victorious (of course) learns some critical piece of information. She's back on Fury's spaceship and just about to brief him on the info, when Carol and Kamala swap.

That said, maybe you're right, Jake, and it's serious. Maybe Carol has been kidnapped by the Kree and is being interrogated or something. The Kree try to use some Kree tech to neutralize Carol's powers and it instead triggers something in the bangle and that's when the swap happens.

Either way, as I wrote before, The Marvels is now my #1 anticipated MCU film! I absolutely need to know what happens next to Kamala and Carol.

I was thinking more about it and I'm concerned about Kamala. It seems likely to me that Carol was probably pulled out of a very serious situation. It would almost be too easy, from a storytelling perspective, if she was just hanging out on the spaceship Fury was on in Far From Home. The initial reaction to the tag was everyone being happy to see Carol. But Kamala is wherever Carol just was, and I have a bad feeling about that. Not in terms of "it was a bad storytelling choice" but "Kamala might be in a very bad situation right now."

Based on the history of the comics (which I haven't read), Kamala could definitely be in a serious situation, if fan theories about the bangle are correct. Though now that Josh mentions it, to me Carol looks more bewildered than concerned. So, it could go either way.

But I love the idea that The Marvels drops you right into the action from the get-go, similar to Multiverse of Madness. All 3 leads (Carol, Kamala, Monica) have had good intros, so there's no need to re-introduce them to the audience.

And this is what I love about the MCU - the discussion, the theories, the implications!

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
OK, so my wife and I finally managed to scrape up the time to watch this...

Absolutely stupendous! By far my favorite Marvel TV show.

It wasn't perfect -- I get from the interviews with Bisha Ali that a lot of material was dropped because Covid wreaked havoc with the time they had to get the series done, and the seams showed a bit. But that aside, it was like being given the pieces of a puzzle that's missing the box cover, and so you don't know what the final result will be when you put it together. And it turns out to be Monet's Springtime. The cast was amazing, all the character beats rang true, the backgrounds for the story worked well. I couldn't have asked for a better adaptation of the comic, even with the necessary changes to better fit with the MCU.

[..] and I thought the Department of Damage Control's agenda was a bit underdeveloped: they did bad things because the plot needed them to, whereas with another episode or two they could have established by Agent Deever was so convinced that Kamran and Kamala represented a threat so immediate as to require the overwhelming force she brought to bear. [...]

The Damage Control business was, to my mind, the weakest part of the show. This won't mean much to non-comics readers, but it felt like they were trying to work in elements of a more recent limited series titled Outlawed, though that story didn't involve Damage Control. That was kind of the problem. Damage Control was created in the comics as the company that comes in after a being super-powers conflict to repair the damage and clean up. In the MCU, it was introduced in Spider-Man: Homecoming as such. And with hardly any mention since then, they are suddenly a governmental law-enforcement agency assigned to capture enhanced people?

The genius of Ron Wasserman's theme to the X-Men Fox animated series is that it only takes a couple bars and you instantly know it's X-Men.

Since I never watched that series, the theme was completely lost on me. I knew what the scene was supposed to accomplish, so I didn't need the music to clue me in, but...

I’ve mentioned previously that The Marvels is my most anticipated Phase 4 film, and that hasn’t changed after Ms Marvel.

Well, actually it has changed, but not for the reason you think. :)

From the information released at SDCC, we now know that The Marvels is actually a Phase 5 film!

(That means that my most-anticipated Phase 4 film gets to stay Wakanda Forever.

I'm Team Kamran myself. 😅

Bruno is Friendzoned no matter how you look at it. 😔

I was always Team Bruno while reading the comics. I'm still Team Bruno. I think Kamran is meh. If Kamala has to be interested in a brown boy, Kareem is a better fit. I liked him in the comics, too, though not as much as Bruno.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Iman Vellani was on Seth Myers the other day:

She’s living the “dream” for an MCU geek/fan! Imagine being a big fan of comics and the MCU and now she is a part of it and able to text Feige on a whim?

Of course, the downside is she now knows some of the stories beforehand and can’t enjoy it like a fan anymore. But as someone in the know, there’s plenty of upside as well!

Here’s another interview she did:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
New Assembled on Ms. Marvel is supposed to be available today.
Just finished watching it, and it was a delight. You really see how much the cast enjoyed each other's company, and how committed everybody on both sides of the camera was to this project.

I didn't realize the scale of Karachi that was practical; they redressed several whole blocks of Bangkok to look like Karachi. I also didn't realize that the high school was largely built from scratch on soundstages, with the unique color palette taken directly from the comics.

There's also neat aspects of this sort of cross-cultural exchange behind the camera, with the people from the West having to learn how to authentically represent Pakistan and Pakistani culture, while the people from South Asia had to learn how to authentically represent Jersey City and American culture. And then the directors sort of bridged the gap: Adil & Bilall, who are Belgian-Moroccan; Meera Menon, who is Indian-American; and Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy, who is Pakistani-Canadian.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
086CC342-4512-4C23-A8D8-E46DF9A95324.jpeg

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I would love for that to be true and I don't want to rain on anybody's parade here. I've gone on record here as saying that I think Ms. Marvel is one of the best things Marvel has ever made, so I would certainly welcome more of it.

But I will believe it when the Hollywood trades report it. That hasn't happened as of now. I don't see sources in that article which appear to me to be legitimate. It smells like clickbait.

Also, any potential second season would be a while off because it would have to come after The Marvels.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I'm surprised that I didn't see this until late yesterday, but at the NY Comic Con last weekend, the Harvey Awards (named after Harvey Kurtzman, the creator of MAD Magazine, and one of the people behind EC Comics) were announced. One of the categories was "Best Adaptation from Comic Book/Graphic Novel", and the winner was Ms. Marvel. For the record, the competition was:

The Batman, directed by Matt Reeves, based on Batman (DC Comics)

El Deafo (Apple TV+), based on El Deafo by CeCe Bell (Abrams Books)

Heartstopper (Netflix), based on Heartstopper by Alice Oseman (Hachette Children’s Group)

Mind MGMT: The Psychic Espionage “Game” board game based on Mind MGMT by Matt Kindt (Dark Horse Comics)

Paper Girls (Amazon Prime Video), based on Paper Girls by Brian K. Vaughan and Cliff Chiang (Image Comics)

Paris, 13th District directed by Jacques Audiard, based on “Amber Sweet,” “Hawaiian Getaway,” and “Killing And Dying” by Adrian Tomine (Drawn & Quarterly)

Peacemaker (HBO Max), based on The Peacemaker (DC Comics)

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, directed by Destin Daniel Cretton, based on Shang-Chi (Marvel Comics)

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Ms Marvel to be shown on network TV!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks