What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Movies you want on HD disc but don't expect to ever see (1 Viewer)

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
There are still six Best Picture Oscar winners that have yet to see a Blu-ray release. Broadway Melody, Cimarron, The Great Ziegfeld, The Life of Emile Zola, Hamlet (1948), and Around the World in 80 Days.
They will be coming from Warner Archives. What I won’t ever expect are the rare nominees: TRADER HORN, SKIPPY, EAST LYNNE, THE WHITE PARADE, HOUSE IF ROTHSCHILD, etc.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
THE CHEAT 1923 with Pola Negri. As far as I can tell, there are no copies of this version in existence.
Having just watched the beautifully restored Tallulah Bankhead version, and then following it up with
the DeMille silent from 1915, I wanted to see this third version, but I'm afraid that'll never happen.
Still, hope springs eternal!

maxfabien

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Walter
Are you saying these six Oscar winning films are scheduled to be released on Blu-ray? Or that if they ever are released they will come from Warner Archives?

maxfabien

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Walter
They will be coming from Warner Archives. What I won’t ever expect are the rare nominees: TRADER HORN, SKIPPY, EAST LYNNE, THE WHITE PARADE, HOUSE IF ROTHSCHILD, etc.
Are you saying these six Oscar winners are already scheduled to be released on Blu-ray? Or do you mean that IF they are ever released it will be by Warner Archives?

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Are you saying these six Oscar winners are already scheduled to be released on Blu-ray? Or do you mean that IF they are ever released it will be by Warner Archives?
I’m just saying that Warner Archives will release them eventually. Mr. Feltenstein knows the importance of these titles. Someone here, I forget who (AHollis?) hinted that 80 DAYS may be coming forthwith, or soon.

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Raintree County
My most wanted blu-ray. Sadly, I don't think we will ever see a release...
After the achievement of The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm how could any large format film remaining be left behind while in such adept and caring hands as George Feltenstein.

Last edited:

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
After the achievement of The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm how could any large format film remaining be left behind while in such adept and caring hands as George Feltenstein.
I just watched the Restoration documentary on the BROTHERS GRIMM disc, and Warners didn't really have much to do with it, aside from scanning the film. But without George anyway, I don't think we get this film.

Beckford

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken
Of course there are tons of higher profile titles I'd like to see make the leap, along with vintage foreign language gems - not to mention B westerns from the 30's.
But here are some particularly elusive butterflies (1939-1950) I'm longing for.

OVER THE MOON(British/UA '39) Merle Oberon, Rex Harrison
STREET OF MEMORIES(Fox '40) John McGuire, Lynne Roberts
BAHAMA PASSAGE(Paramount '41) Madeleine Carroll, Sterling Hayden
CADET GIRL(Fox '41) Carole Landis, George Montgomery
MOON OVER HER SHOULDER(Fox '41) Lynn Bari, John Sutton
SAILORS ON LEAVE(Republic '41) William Lundigan, Shirley Ross
UNDER AGE(Columbia '41) Nan Grey, Mary Anderson
SWING OUT, SISTER(Universal '45) Rod Cameron, Frances Raeburn
THE EXILE(Universal '47) Douglas Fairbanks Jr., Maria Montez
WHEN A GIRL'S BEAUTIFUL(Columbia '47)
(Glamazon Adele Jergens stars; newcomers Joi Lansing and Peggie Castle are perched decoratively nearby)
THE GALLANT BLADE(Columbia '48) Larry Parks, Marguerite Chapman
THE FIGHTING O'FLYNN(Universal '49) Douglas Fairbanks Jr., Marguerite Chapman
THE AVENGERS(Republic '50) John Carroll, Adele Mara, Fernando Lamas

Last edited:

Desdinova

Agent
Real Name
Scott
Definitely agree with The 4th Man, especially if includes the commentary track from the DVD. And I pray that Criterion releases the TCM cut of Pat Garrett, the best cut in my opinion.

Daughter of the Mind (1969)
Bigfoot: The Mysterious Monster (1975) One of the better Bigfoot docs from the seemingly endless spate the ran throughout the 1970s. All of the commercial DVDs out there are sourced from crappy OTA sources and look terrible. I found a fairly decent copy recorded in SuperBeta off of a cable channel in the mid-80s and was able to do a reasonable clean-up, color balance, and upscaling, but there's only so much our current tools can do... :)

JWC1969

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
So I wanted to vent somewhere and didn't find a thread about this (there is one for TV shows but not movies) but what are some movies that you want a modern release that you don't think will ever get one?

Mine is "The Beast of War", which is one of the best / most accurate tank movies ever created that I don't think is either old enough or popular enough to get a HD disc release.
Big Night (1996; dir. Campbell Scott & Stanley Tucci)
The Good Thief (2002; dir. Neil Jordan)
Little Buddha (1993; dir. Bernardo Bertolucci)

pinknik

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
I'm still waiting on Pink Floyd Live in Pompeii and Pink Floyd's The Wall. The Wall, in particular, I would have expected a blu-ray by now. Isn't this where . . .

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
My favorite version of Jane Austen's Emma (1996) with Gwyneth Paltrow.
Outrageous Fortune
Porgy and Bess
Centennial Summer
The House on Telegraph Hill
Raintree County - roadshow in MGM Camera 65

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoneman66
Recent bookmarks