What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Movies you want on HD disc but don't expect to ever see (1 Viewer)

Lasermanfan

Agent
Real Name
Tyson
Looking for Mr. Goodbar 1977
Little Darlings 1980 Theatrical and TV version
TV movies: No place to hide 1981 and Deadly Messages 1984.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Where the heck is Moulin Rouge (2001) as it's one of the most visually stunning movies ever made and still very popular. It just shocks me this isn't available.

Is it out of print on Blu-ray? I'm asking because I know I reviewed it on Blu in 2010, but I guess knowing Fox it could be gone now.

No idea if the standalone BD is actually OOP -- it's not currently sold directly by Amazon itself (though available from 3rd parties in its marketplace) -- but it's at least still available at Best Buy:

Amazon's also still directly selling the double-feature version (w/ Romeo+Juliet)...

_Man_

hotrodguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Cliff
I second (or third) The Abyss Extended Cut

I would also like to see:

Armageddon (Director's Cut)
Titan A.E.

I'm sure I could think of more but these are just off the top of my head.

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
Considering I don't think it's even gotten a particularly good DVD release, I am not expecting much for this fun caper film.

Attachments

• Seven Golden Men.jpeg
    Seven Golden Men.jpeg
    46 KB · Views: 19

maxfabien

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Walter
The Abyss (theatrical and extended)
True Lies
Star Wars: A New Hope theatrical version

I’m surprised I’m the first to post these titles on this thread.
I agree 100% about a Blu-ray release of "The Abyss". And I have an even more unlikely wish that James Cameron would do a 3D transfer of "The Abyss" like he did with "Titanic".

Trialobite

Auditioning
Real Name
Alexander Fook
I’ll take literally any unreleased 3D movie first, partcularly the content from the fifties Golden Age,
Particularly Bwana Devil 3D, Hondo 3D, and I, The Jury 3D.

From modern movies I’d love a release of Jungle Cruise 3D, Pete’s Dragon 3D, and (maybe unpopularly) the Nutcracker and the Four Realms 3D.

For non-3D films, after watching the Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm and the restoration featurette, I would love to see that team work their magic on How the West Was Won and Around the World in 80 Days.

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
I might as well list a few off of the top of my head in no particular order:
Beau James (1957)
Margie (1946)
Bernadine (1957)
Goodbye Charlie (1966)
The Midnight Hour (1985)
Comprehensive collections of the Disney catalog of cartoon shorts (1920s - 1960s)
Paramount on Parade (1930)
The Jolson Story (1946) and Jolson Sings Again (1949) - would love to see them in HD, but I can understand why Columbia/Sony and the boutiques would be apprehensive about them.
Captain Blood (1924) - I like to think that the 1935 remake still has a fighting chance
The Laurel and Hardy silents - maybe when they start going PD in a few years
The Wedding March (1928) - prove me wrong, Criterion
Seventh Heaven (1927)
Street Angel (1928)
I believe that the last two did have releases - now OOP - over in Europe. It has always struck me as sort of strange that so much of Frank Borzage's work has been released domestically by the various boutiques but not the two titles that jumpstarted and defined his career.

maxfabien

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Walter
I’ll take literally any unreleased 3D movie first, partcularly the content from the fifties Golden Age,
Particularly Bwana Devil 3D, Hondo 3D, and I, The Jury 3D.

From modern movies I’d love a release of Jungle Cruise 3D, Pete’s Dragon 3D, and (maybe unpopularly) the Nutcracker and the Four Realms 3D.

For non-3D films, after watching the Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm and the restoration featurette, I would love to see that team work their magic on How the West Was Won and Around the World in 80 Days.
I'm all for the 3D releases! I understand that the TCM Classic Film Festival this year will screen "I, the Jury" in 3D. So this might be a glimmer of hope for that one!

Lafe F

Second Unit
Toys (1992) with Robin Williams. Fox movie. Disney+ has it in HD, so maybe someday they'll release a HD disc of it.

Bobby Henderson

Stunt Coordinator
True Lies and The Abyss are the ones I want the most. I still have the old non-anamorphic DVDs; but the discs are painful to attempt watching on a large HDTV. There's two choices: watch them window-boxed so they look like a bad YouTube video. Or zoom the image, which yields horrible results too.

I simply can't understand why James Cameron has dragged his feet for more than 20 years, holding up better quality disc releases of The Abyss. Fox never released a proper 16x9 anamorphic DVD of the movie in the US. And it has never made it onto Blu-ray. I watched the original theatrical cut in 70mm at the Ziegfeld in NYC, almost 33 years ago. The extended director's cut was a pretty big improvement to the story though. I don't know what quality level was used to render the visual effects for those new sequences. Could that be a possible reason for the endless delays?

Here's a couple reasons why I think True Lies has been prevented from getting a proper Blu-ray or UHD release in recent years (or 16x9 DVD in the past). It's a theory really. One is the politics angle. I still remember celebrity DJ Casey Kasem blasting the movie as being racist back in 1994 when it was first released. Is it possible the title is being endlessly delayed over PC concerns? The other reason (the bigger factor I think) is the laughably obvious stunt double shots. There are camera angles at several points in the movie where viewers can easily see the stunt doubles. It's obvious enough to even be visible on the old 480p non-anamorphic DVD. I'm wondering if James Cameron wants to pull a George Lucas style stunt by trying to fix those shots with some revisionist CG work.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
The Abyss (theatrical and extended)
True Lies
Star Wars: A New Hope theatrical version

I keep waiting for True Lies and The Abyss as James Cameron was supposed to be supervising the restoration and new transfers of both from what I was hearing. Supposedly one of these films has been completed but who knows why it has still not been released? Mayb Cameron wants to release both on disc at the same time but who knows if this is the case or not. As far as the theatrical of Star Wars I keep hoping but I am not going to hold my breath on that one!

Star Trek: The Motion Picture

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoneman66
Recent bookmarks