What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Movies you want on HD disc but don't expect to ever see (1 Viewer)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I thought I read somewhere that some work was completed on The Devil and Daniel Webster. If that’s true then I expect Criterion to release a Blu-ray.
A really magical film, a masterpiece in my book. I'm sure that I read somewhere that Criterion now owns it. Over to you Criterion.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

harync

Agent
Real Name
Harrison
I simply can't understand why James Cameron has dragged his feet for more than 20 years, holding up better quality disc releases of The Abyss. Fox never released a proper 16x9 anamorphic DVD of the movie in the US. And it has never made it onto Blu-ray. I watched the original theatrical cut in 70mm at the Ziegfeld in NYC, almost 33 years ago. The extended director's cut was a pretty big improvement to the story though. I don't know what quality level was used to render the visual effects for those new sequences. Could that be a possible reason for the endless delays?
According to various media outlets, the 4K transfer of the Abyss was finished in October 2021. Not sure if that means the theatrical edition or the extended edition (or both)? I'm really hoping it's the extended edition, if not both, because as you note the story is so much improved.

Beckford

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken
Abandon Ship (aka Seven Waves Away, 1957)
Excellent (and unusual) choice. The great late-career performance from Tyrone Power. And a fine film altogether.
This is a picture that deserves to be more widely seen. Certainly a Blu-ray would be most welcome.

Last edited:

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I have hazy memories of seeing Seven Waves Away in the early sixties, as a support feature to The Devil At 4 O'Clock. Now I did expect to see Devil on Blu-ray (esp. as a really nice HD transfer used to show up on TV from time to time), I thought it would be a sure fire Twilight Time release, but that never happened, & it's never shown up from any other company, maybe there's a legal problem with it.

Wardog555

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fraser
I want to see jackass the movie and jackass number 2 in blu-ray! Man these are hilarious and I'm looking forward to seeing jackass forever

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
The Big Circus (1959)
aaa THE BIG CIRCUS.jpg

M90GM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JUSTIN
Raintree County
My most wanted blu-ray. Sadly, I don't think we will ever see a release...
Crazy to think this film (with technical difficulties) will be lost forever - surely what they have is better than nothing for this larger than life flawed great movie of the late 50's - splendour of MGM Camera 65 & stereo too!!!

sultan of cinema

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
The Corrupt Ones (1967) with Robert Stack. Elke Sommer, Nancy Kwan Crime Action Film, never released in North America on either DVD or Blu-ray.
I have a beautiful German The Corrupt Ones with original film poster slip case, booklet, etc from filmjuwelen, English and no subs. Saw this when it actually came out in the theater!

sultan of cinema

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
Does anyone think we will EVER get the 1960's Edgar Wallace films that have been beautifully rendered in Germany/locked of course?

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Also, far from perfect 1967's "Half a Sixpence" with Tommy Steel. Irwin Kostal orchestrated the film and worked harder on this film than Poppins or Sound of Music. It's long, and the story isn't a home run, but production values and music are top notch. All is for naught on a mediocre DVD with a brittle and harsh soundtrack.
The production values of this film really are remarkable and Kostal's arrangements are dazzling.
It is an uneven film moving in fits and starts getting very silly at times giving those people who hate musicals a reason why. But when it's working it soars buoyed by Kostal's amazing work. I'm not surprised he worked harder on this than Poppins or SOM. His work is even more inspired if that were possible. And the movie is worth it for Julia Foster alone.

Just yesterday I found on youtube Money to Burn from the original Broadway production with Tommy Steele from The Ed Sullivan Show. Black and white but of excellent quality. Boy was that a surprise as I didn't know it even existed. I sure missed Gillian Lynne's(of Cats fame but her work here is better) choreography and Kostal's orchestrations.

As I've already written after the disaster that is On a Clear Day's bluray(from what I've read) why would Paramount put out a well produced bluray of this financial failure?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Thanks for mentioning "Money to Burn" on YouTube. I just went there and watched it. It's excellent quality and brought back such memories. The Ed Sullivan Show provided us with SO many glimpses of Broadway of the period. And I'm sure it was a great way to juice up the box-office for shows, too.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I remember watching Ed Sullivan the Sunday of the week the film opened at the Criterion. He had Tommy Steele in the audience and had him take a bow.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
"Night of the Iguana". I'd forgotten about that one. Great movie. I have visited the former set in Mismaloya near Puerto Vallarta. It's still there, overgrown, fenced, difficult to see, but you can still walk along the beach and see the remains up on the hill. I think it was used as a restaurant for a while. There is a DVD.

The beach area is very nice and a bit away from the crowds at Puerto Vallarta. A hotel or two, restaurants, lots of locals, makes for an excellent day at the beach.

Wayne Klein

Supporting Actor
Two films from TV-Rage from George C. Scott and Gargoyles. Mountains of the Moon looks pretty good but really could use a fresh scan.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BennettKarina
Recent bookmarks