What's new

Mounting Plate Amp in Sonotube (1 Viewer)

Adam O

Stunt Coordinator
I am in the planning stages of my Sono based diy sub. I know the following:

Driver: Dayton 15" DVC

TubeSize: 24"

Volume: 280L or so

Amp: Extra plate amp I have (4Ohms, 180w-rms)

Port: width: 6" length: around 25", cant remember exactly

Tuned to: 16.5Hz

As of now I want to cut a rectangle out of the tube, about a third way up the tube, 10" wide by 12" high. Build I small (3-4L Im guessing) enclosure that will be inside the tube and sit in the retangular cutout, I will air proof it etc. The amp will then be mounted on the inside of the tube on this box.

My Question is: Will this box create problems with the way the waves reflect inside the tub, in turn changing the overall clarity, volume, etc of the bass?

As well If you see something that you think I could improve on with the design please let me know.

Thanks Alot.

Adam

Mike Dr

Stunt Coordinator
Well putting the amp inside a tube is a little tricky, since you have to have the frame match exactly the arc of the tube... For me, the top and bottom pieces were easy since you just cut a circle and then cut in half and use the halfs... for the sides, it was a little more tricky .. i had to cut 2 square pieces at 37 degrees (it just worked out that that was the closes approximation of the arc of my tube .. no complicated math .. just by eye) .. and then sand it to a circular shape. for some pics of it all , check out this album:
Link Removed
Personally I dont think the enclosure is taking anything away from the sound quality since i'm totally blown away by it.. I guess I could be a better judge of it if i had an identical tube w/o the amp inside, but you wont see my grin fading any time soon :D

Adam O

Stunt Coordinator
Excellent!

Thanks Mike, I see you did not close off the amp internally from the rest of the internal volume of the sub, I will do this instead of my original plan.

Could you give me the measurements for your sub, also how exactly did you fasten the 'flush mount' as you called it to the tube, just with glue??

Thanks alot again, this saves me alot of testing time,

Adam

Mike Dr

Stunt Coordinator
I used silicone caulk and wood screws (pre-drill holes). my sub used a 19" tube (it was sold as an 18" tube for some reason). I also used all-thread rods through the tube, as you can see in the pics, and 2 of them support the structure by using washers and wing nuts to secure the frame.

Mike Dr

Stunt Coordinator
same as pretty much everyone else.. it's cotton ribbing from jo-ann's fabrics. It was a 20" tube at about $7.99 per yard (I got 3 yards but had plenty left over)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks