Powering a Sonotube

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lon_Coleman, Nov 9, 2001.

1. Lon_Coleman

Lon_Coleman Agent

I hope this isn't a stupid question... But would my Onkyo 696 LFE output power a Sonotube?? I am thinking about building one, but I need to know if I need an additional amp.
    Can I use a plate amp on a Sonotube?? Is it difficult to mount a flat amp on a round object??

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Is the LFE out powered or is it a line out? If powered, you could probably pull it off. If not, you would need an additional amp.
    One drawback to the Sonosub design is that it leaves little if any place to mount a plate amp without cutting into the side of the tube, thus compromising it's strength (one of the reasons people go with the tube design in the first place).
    Since you are using the LFE out with a predetermined rolloff, you could, however, use any amp to power your sub. So, if you have an old amp laying around, you could just power it from that.

3. Chris_Campbell

Chris_Campbell Stunt Coordinator

There are no stupid questions here, everyone's gotta start somewhere [​IMG] I'm pretty sure the onkyo doesn't have a powered output, and if it did, unfortunately you'd still have to worry about driver impedence. Most consumer grade receivers output to 8 ohms, and the onkyo will do 6, but I wouldn't chance 4. It really depends on what driver you're using for your sub. If it's a tempest, with dual 8 ohm voice coils, your best bet is to run them in parallel for a 4 ohm load. A plate amp would be a fine choice for power, but the problem is the clearance.
    If you are using a 24" tube, and going for a 12" driver, then sure, you can probably fit it on the bottom with the woof. If it doesn't fit on the bottom, you could always put it on the top, but most people prefer to keep it out of sight. Mounting a plate amp to the side of a tube, on the other hand, is no easy task, as Dave mentioned.
    Another option is to go with a seperate amp, either consumer grade or professional. If the driver you're using for the sub likes a lot of power (more than 300-400 watts), you're probably better off going for a pro audio amp. With a pro audio amp, you can get lots of power (500, or even 1000+ watts) for relatively low cost (between 150-400 dollars, used). The other advantage is that they're made to handle low impedences (down to even 2 ohms). Some names to look into if you're interested are Crown (expensive), mackie, qsc, carver, and samson.
    I hope I have given you some useful information here. Whew!