1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Is there a way i can mount a plate amp on to sonotube without it making it look ugly

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tyler, Jun 24, 2001.

1. Tyler

Tyler Stunt Coordinator

Is there a way i can mount a plate amp on to sono tube with out it making it look ugly & stick out ?

2. Jin E

Jin E Second Unit

You can build the plate amp it's own little box and then hid it out of the way. That way you have the flexibility to use a component type amp in the future...
    ------------------
    -Jin
    My Theater

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

You can check out what I did. I'm really happy with how it turned out, but you may disaggree.
    http://ht.s5.com/Sonosub.html
    The pictures aren't the greatest but you'll get the idea.
    You could also search HTT for links to Hank Frankenberg's sonosub (not sure if they are still up) from which I got the basic idea for mine. Although his is a perfectly square box.

4. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Tyler, I mounted mine on the side of my Tempest sonosub (I believe I was the first to do this), and so far no one who has seen it (including a picky interior designer/decorator) has made any remotely negative comment about its appearance. I have the sub placed so the amp is not visible from any HT viewing/listening position, so it's just not a problem. The amp enclosure I built is very shallow (I'm thinking about 3" deep) so it doesn't stick out very far. Could you not turn your sub so that the amp was toward the wall?