What's new

Biamping a Tempest Driver? (1 Viewer)

Trenton McNeil

Second Unit
I'm getting a new PartsExpress 250W plate amp to drive my Tempest Sonotube sub (my Peavey is just too noisy!), and am considering buying two of them to biamp. Has anyone tried this? My concern is that the Tempest will no longer be able to fill my room and make my heart rumble with the lower power of the PE250 as compared to my old Peavey CS400 bridged.

Any thoughts?

Also looking at making a easy enclosure for the PE amp, since there is nowhere on my Sonotube to mount it. If anyone has experience with that, I would welcome the input...

Thanks!:emoji_thumbsup:

Trenton McNeil

Second Unit
Thank you Dustin B! It is a bigass ported downfiring Sonosub with two 4" ports.

I rarely get the opportunity to really crank it up, but when I do, I like to feel the bass way down deep in my soul. :)

Trenton McNeil

Second Unit
Well I got it all installed in a secondary box (in case I decided to swap things around...) and I must say...NO REGRETS! I must not have been pushing that Peavey very hard, because the only difference I'm getting so far is that I no longer have to deal with fan noise from the Peavey. :) I'm a happy camper!

Thanks for everyone's input (on and off this thread/forum).

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I went from a Peavey amp to a single PE 250W plate amp as well, and haven't found the need to add another amp into the mix for my Tempest Sunosub.

Trenton McNeil

Second Unit
Good stuff!

Now to track down the ventilation rattle in the wall behind my sub. :)

I find myself tempted to lower the cutoff frequency to around 100db for movies...I know this flies in the face of everything pure in the audiophile world, but thought it might allow me to give a little more OOMPH to explosions without making everything else sound boomy.

Thoughts?

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Lower the cutoff frequency to 100db?

Do you mean lower the crossover to 100hz? I thought it's usually set to 80hz as a low point.

If you mean 100db loud, then that would mean the sub is running very hot. That would be too much bass to enjoy a movie. Probably wouldn't sound very clean with a 250w tempest either.

Trenton McNeil

Second Unit
Yes I meant 100hz cutoff. :) I know that I shouldn't even be using the xover in the PE amp since the sub output is cutoff already at the .1 output of my 5.1 receiver, but it provides an interesting boom to some movie soundtracks.

Actually, I'm just having fun playing with the remote control for the subwoofer. :P

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks