Sonosub Questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JeffTodd, Jun 2, 2002.

1. JeffTodd

JeffTodd Stunt Coordinator

Just a couple of quick questions regarding subs constructed from Sonotube.
    -What is the actual material of the sonotube? (dense cardboard?)
    -Is it possible to use this type of sub as an endtable? Meaning, would I be able to have stuff sit on top without falling off? (ie Pictures, etc)
    -Do most people run external power to these subs? I know that in cube designs you can simply mount the plate amp into the side, but on a sonosub design mounting a plate to the cylinder side would prove quite dificult.

Thanks for the help in advance.

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Yep, its a very dense paper type material similar in texture to cardboard.
    You can, but you'll have to use some bluetack or something similar to keep the items on it from rattling and falling off.
    Most do, but a few of us have mounted the amps to the tube. Here is a very impressive example of flushmounting:
    http://members.optushome.com.au/wcallen/
    You can follow the link in my sig to mine (you want to look at the Tempest not the Twins). Mine isn't anywhere near as impressive, but it does have the advantage of not compromising the integrity of the tube at all and is easier to do.

3. JeffTodd

Dustin,

Thanks for the info regarding the sonosub.

I am debating whether to build a Shiva sonosub, or a Shiva cube sub powered by a PE 250w amp.

From what I have read a sonosub appears rather easy to construct. Sonotube material, MDF, glue, caulk, misc hardware. Just a quick question though, anybody in Austin, where can I get sonotube that is bigger than the stuff that HD sells?

4. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Pull out the yellow pages and look up concrete supply and contractor places. Phone a buch up and see who has the best price.

5. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Jeff, I designed and built a plate amp enclosure and mounted it to the side of my sonosub. I had pictures on my cheap Geocities web site, but when I posted new pictures of the line source towers that I built for GR Research, I inadvertantly deleted my first web page. If you want to see my Tempest-based sonosub, send me a note - I'm in Austin also.

6. JeffTodd

Hank,
    I do remember seeing your posts about the plate amp enclosure. I have also thought about constructing something along those lines if I went the sonotube way. Could you pass those pics of your tempest sonotube along my way? [email protected] All these fun projects! And of course there is never enough time.

7. Bac Bradley

Bac Bradley Stunt Coordinator

I just added a new DIY article from a fellow htf member to a new area of TheManRoom.com - the DIY Series. It's a sonosub, of course [​IMG] Just click the link in my signature and enjoy.

8. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Jeff, here's a link to my low-res web site on Geocities:
    http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index.html
    You'll see my plate amp enclosure design. I used the radius of the end "plugs" to cut the curve into the two enclosure sides so that it fit against the side of the tube. If you're going to place your sonosub in a corner, the plate amp enclosure will be barely noticeable.

9. Jedd

Jedd Second Unit

You can make real table from the sonotube if you add one desk to this:
    side-tube
    Amp mount in this case is just a piece of cake. [​IMG]