What's new

MGM Press Release: BOND 50 (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
I got the first batch of Blu-rays from Amazon around Black Friday in 2008. With discounts and accrued Amazon points I paid $2.50 each for the first six Bond Blu-rays. After that I just saved points to get them or got them as gifts. I wasn't interested in spending a lot on these because I had bought the films so many times. So now I'll just dump off what I have, save Amazon points and ask for gift cards. It should all work out and I'll get this lovely set. The movies aren't going anywhere so I'll certainly wait to see if there is a deal around Black Friday.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^ I guess anything is possible but I think going higher than $200, they risk making the price too high for many people to afford. Though a few days ago, I was saying that releasing only one set wouldn't happen because the price would be too high so what do I know? :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I just cancelled my Amazon trade-in of the 13 Bond titles
I already own.

I just can't bring myself to trading them in for $5 apiece.

I can only hope MGM does the right thing by offering the
remaining titles as solo releases at some point.

I really love the look of the individual Blu-rays and would
rather have them sitting on my shelf then a big box that
would be tucked away out of sight in a closet.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein /t/317593/mgm-press-release-bond-50-blu-ray/60#post_3887258
I already own.

We're of the same mind, Ron. I'm sitting tight on the ones I have and hoping for the best.

WinstonCely

Second Unit
Real Name
Winston Cely
I wish I hadn't already bought all the currently available BD Bonds! There's no way I'm re-buying the BD Bonds I have already, but I'd love to have this set. Then again, with the series not going away any time soon, this set is already doomed to be obsolete! LOL So, waiting to get them individually isn't that big a deal.... I guess.

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
I'll wait too. Finally at least some resolution on the Bond Blu-Ray issue, but looks like we'll have to wait just a little longer if we've already bought the previous titles.
:(

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Just about (note I didn't say all) every other film franchise released as a box set has been split up on BD. Both Star Trek sets (TOS and TNG movies) have started to get split up. The Lion King box from last year is being split very soon. Mission Impossible (I don't recall if there were new discs in the box set or not, though), The Matrix films, the original Batman anthology and so on.

It would behoove MGM and Fox to get the singles out by the time Skyfall hits DVD in, what, March/April 2013 or so?

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
I'm really only interested in the Connery films, and a few select others. I'll probably wait for individual releases, or until someone breaks up their set and sells it off on ebay.
Doug

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Ronald Epstein said:
I already own.
I was tempted to do the same. By adding in my ultimate DVD's as well as existing blu-rays i can get half way there, but I just couldn'y pull the trigger. Not yet at least.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
DellaStMedia said:
I wish I hadn't already bought all the currently available BD Bonds! There's no way I'm re-buying the BD Bonds I have already, but I'd love to have this set. Then again, with the series not going away any time soon, this set is already doomed to be obsolete! LOL So, waiting to get them individually isn't that big a deal.... I guess.
I dont wish I didnt buy them. I own them and therefore have been able to watch them and enjoy them for the last couple years.

marsnkc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrew
Exactly! This reminds me of a guy I knew in early 1981 when I purchased my first VHS player (before the first studio-issued tape of Dr. No -- $80+ in pan and scan!). I was making a pittance while he was raking in $100k a year at the time. A tightwad, his excuse for not getting on the bandwagon was his 'foresight' that home video would 'improve' with time, when he could show us how smart he was to wait. I wonder if he ever joined the human race, or if he's still waiting for the next 'improvement'. More than likely the latter, in the meantime continuing to occupy himself with counting how much he'll take to the grave!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
TravisR said:
^ I guess anything is possible but I think going higher than $200, they risk making the price too high for many people to afford. Though a few days ago, I was saying that releasing only one set wouldn't happen because the price would be too high so what do I know? :)
I'm leaving my order just the way it is. $9 each is a pretty good price. Most are worth more than that to me.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Andrew, we've even seen people here on the Forum who have talked about never buying into laserdisc or DVD, as these were formats that were sure to be rendered obsolete. And I have to ask the same question you did - just noting that sitting on the fence and ignoring all the releases tends to result in not getting to enjoy any of the benefits that these formats have offered us.

Thanks to VHS and laserdisc (and widescreen releases), I was able to see the Bond films in letterboxed format for the first time at home. The first one for me like this was The Spy Who Loved Me, which was a quantum jump in picture from the Pan & Scan versions I had previously seen at home.

Thanks to DVD, I was able to see some great editions of the Bond films, culminating with the Ultimate Edition sets, which happily included new commentaries by Roger Moore. At that point, I had only purchased maybe four of the movies on disc, so the UE boxes were a quick way to catch up. And I usually found them for sale at a pretty good discount.

Thanks to Blu-ray, I have been able to see several of my favorite Bond films presented in the best fashion I would have imagined for home viewing. The Blu-ray of Goldfinger (which I reviewed here almost three years ago) is a wonder - when I showed the establishing shots of the Miami hotel to my brother, his jaw dropped at the clarity and the detail. We both said that if it weren't for the period cars, you could swear this was something that just got shot.

I'm waiting to see what's actually in this box set before I make any decision. Given the thoroughness of the prior sets, I have to wonder what they've been able to generate in terms of bonus materials. I strongly doubt that Sean Connery decided to do commentaries, but I suppose it's possible that some deleted scenes may have been found in the vaults. As it is, the existing documentaries and supplements are plenty for me. I'm with Ron on the notion of waiting to see when the individual titles are broken out of the box, and whether there are any exclusives that only come if you eat the whole elephant.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I decided to sell my existing BD Bond discs. I am taking a loss, but I do want all the Bond films, so I'll grin and bare it. :) I am waiting to see if the UK release is region locked, though, before placing an order for the set. If the UK set ends up being region locked, I will wait for the US set to drop a little in price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks