What's new

MGM Press Release: BOND 50 (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Chas in CT said:
Not only did that former momentum get lost, there's probably no one there who still has any sense of continuity on the series, and can only envision "New Big Box".
With the exception of John Cork, assuming he is still producing the extra features.
Doug

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
That was just a cynical off-the-cuff assumption, by the way. I do hope there are some good people there.

Patrick Mason

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick
I do feel like this hits those of us who purchased all of the earlier releases pretty hard. Just because I want Goldeneye and On Her Majesty's Secret Service I need to shell out $200 for a set with a bunch of titles I already own? Ouch. I also liked having individual cases as opposed to some monstrous box set that will need to be stored and forgotten in a closet somewhere. I feel burned enough that I'm not too interested in this set. Sad after so much investment and anticipation. Good deal if you haven't bought the existing releases, though.

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
Since I own all the existing blu-rays, there is no way I'll purchase this set. If they don't release the films individually, then screw 'em. I have plenty of other stuff to watch.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Patrick Mason said:
I do feel like this hits those of us who purchased all of the earlier releases pretty hard.  Just because I want Goldeneye and On Her Majesty's Secret Service I need to shell out $200 for a set with a bunch of titles I already own?  Ouch.  I also liked having individual cases as opposed to some monstrous box set that will need to be stored and forgotten in a closet somewhere.  I feel burned enough that I'm not too interested in this set.  Sad after so much investment and anticipation.  Good deal if you haven't bought the existing releases, though.
Randy_M said:
Since I own all the existing blu-rays, there is no way I'll purchase this set. If they don't release the films individually, then screw 'em. I have plenty of other stuff to watch.
While we may have to wait longer, I see no reason to think these won't get released individually at some point. And at a reasonable price point like the $10 range most were able to get the current blu-rays for.

Dan_Shane

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan Shane
Originally Posted by smithb /t/317593/mgm-press-release-bond-50-blu-ray/60#post_3886641
While we may have to wait longer, I see no reason to think these won't get released individually at some point. And at a reasonable price point like the $10 range most were able to get the current blu-rays for.
On at least some of the titles, probably, but maybe not all. OHMSS Special Edition DVD was never issued as an individual title -- only in the boxed collection.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Dan_Shane said:
OHMSS Special Edition DVD was never issued as an individual title -- only in the boxed collection.
It was released individually as a single-disc edition in 2009, minus the bonus disc of extras that the version in the boxed set had.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Worth said:
It was released individually as a single-disc edition in 2009, minus the bonus disc of extras that the version in the boxed set had.
It was also released as a special edition in 2000.
Amazon also shows it was released in a 2-disk ultimate edition at one point.

marsnkc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrew
rayman1701 said:
Amazon UK won't let you pre-order things in US dollars, at least it won't for me and that is what the rules of their "currency converter" say.  I just double checked by having both the Bond and Cleopatra, and there is no option to pay in USD.  Which makes sense, because they could get burned on the exchange rate months in advance.
Thanks, Ray. I pre-ordered in sterling so wasn't aware Amazon won't allow them in dollars, which makes perfect sense, of course. As of yesterday, sterling was $1.54. Let's hope it stays that way or drops even more. For a long time it held steady at $1.60

Frank Ha

Second Unit
Real Name
Frank Harrison
Randy_M said:
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I own all the blu-rays that are currently available and I'm not going to buy them again.
smithb said:
I think your right. I'll be patient and, hopefully, there will be individual releases later on.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
I'll also not be buying this, for two reasons:
1. I'm not repurchasing the ones I currently own.
2. I don't like the current incarnation of Bond as thug, so I don't want the Craig films.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Are these 22 individual cases (example: the "Law & Order" set that had 20 individual season cases) or one of those monstrous fold-out jobs? I have no use for the Craig films, so would prefer to give away or trash them.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Hit the button...ordered this sucker! now to wait on this amazing set. I still remember seeing Goldfinger when I was 9 years old or something. Just blew me away. I mean... a dead golden woman? This will be amazing. I'll bet 2/3rds of these I've NEVER seen!
first thing I thought of when ordering this was... 6 million dollar man is about this same price and I'm DYING to snag that set! ...soon! :)

wranim8

Grip
Real Name
Baby Schnook
I love Bond - I've seen them all (even the bad ones) multiple times. But quite frankly, I have a hard time watching them much anymore just because I'm tired of them. The blu-rays of Bonds I have, I've watched once. It's great seeing the quality but, blast it, it IS the same movie I've seen since VHS. Kinda the same problem I've got buying many of my all time favorite movies on blu-ray - 2001, etc.....I've already seen them SO MANY TIMES, that, I watch them once to marvel at the quality of blu-ray, and then they just go into the bookcase to gather dust. All the Bonds have been very accessible through streaming netflix and pay-per-view and, forgive me, but I do have a life so the zillions of hours of extras go unwatched with me. I'm glad they are all finally available on blu-ray but I'm afraid I personally will not be porking out for massive blu-ray Bond set.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I love them all too. Some more than others but all are worth owning just for entertainment value to me.
There are on'y two things that have always bugged me abut the earlier Bonds. The sound effects are ridiculous. Each punch that lands sounds like a car crash and some other effects are way overlooked too.
The other was the way many scenes had a speed increase. Mostly during fistfights and car chases. Why did they do that?

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Misha Lauenstein
I've been holding out a long time on these Blu-rays. Future Shop had the first 12 for $4.99 last week. So I price matched them at Best Buy and got them for $3.49 each, knowing I could return them after hearing the January 10 announcement. I've decided to keep them and wait a few more years for the second batch to come out as singles.
I feel my excellent buy last week makes up for paying full price for all 22 I Spy releases ten years ago.

marsnkc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrew
TonyD said:
I love them all too. Some more than others but all are worth owning just for entertainment value to me.
There are on'y two things that have always bugged me abut the earlier Bonds. The sound effects are ridiculous. Each punch that lands sounds like a car crash and some other effects are way overlooked too.
The other was the way many scenes had a speed increase. Mostly during fistfights and car chases. Why did they do that?
You took the those words right out of my mouth, Tony.
Of course, the idea of people owning movies (unless you're Robert Harris....:D) was straight out of Dick Tracy. The makers (of any movie) never imagined most of them being seen more than once, if then, and most don't hold up under the kind of scrutiny that multiple viewings subject them to. That film speedup was obviously meant to convey the idea that cars, as in the chase at Goldfinger's factory, were going much faster than they actually were. Ditto the fistfights. The budgets of course were small, even by the day's standards.
I'm embarrassed to say that it wasn't until I'd seen the Bonds umpteen times that it occurred to me how truly outlandish some of them are. Until then I took the idea of someone carrying suction cups around with him as perfectly reasonable - you never know when you might have to climb down a volcano! Nor did it trouble me that no one ever noticed and reported the comings and goings of giant rocket ships from said volcano, despite the fact that tens of tons of machinery, at least when launched from Cape Canaveral, can be seen and heard from miles around, the radius increasing as they ascend.
I accepted without question the implication that the army employed at the volcano were well fed, and assumed that delivering pizzas to unusual addresses was par for the course for any enterprising bakery. Enterprising also were the engineering firms responsible for the infrastructure, and how the massive undertaking was achieved in strict secrecy. Kudos as well to those that designed, built and installed the electric chairs in Blofeld's conference hall. They did what they were contracted to do, and should under no circumstances be criticized for not questioning their ultimate use. Capitalism dictates that how a company goes about firing its employees is its own business and no one else's! Great stuff!

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
bgart13 said:
Looks like a nice set, but I'm thinking Xmas 2012 and a great lightning deal then...
We could start speculating about 2012 Black Friday deals.
There is no mention in the press announcement of any upgrade of the films already on blu ray disc. Since that would be a great selling point for those who already own 13 of the 22 films in the set, I am guessing this set will have the same transfers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks