What's new

MGM Press Release: BOND 50 (Blu-ray) (2 Viewers)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Will preorder both the U.S. and UK release to see which
comes out the better deal in the end.

Have we established the UK release is (as of today) $117?

And is there any potential problems playing these on U.S. players?
I have a region-free Oppo but I am worried about PAL problems, that
is, if such issues still exist on Blu-ray.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Ok I get.....
78.07 GBP = 120.643 USD
I don't think PAL is an issue on blu-ray

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I admit I'm torn right now between waiting for the inevitable singles and snagging this set when it hits a price point I'm okay with. I haven't watched any of the singles I have on the shelf now. Heck, Star Wars is more "important" as a franchise to me than Bond and I still haven't picked THAT up.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Another question....

Between now and October that UK set price could greatly
fluctuate based on the American dollar....correct?

I mean, I would be locked into that price, but the exchange
rate may be greatly varied in 9 months.....yes?

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
TonyD said:
XE converter says 78.07 EUR = 99.4396 USD
Did I miss a decimal?
Nope. You are thinking Euros, which the Brits did not adopt. This is pounds sterling.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Yes. The currency fluctuations could make a fair difference.
I have the all the box sets out now, so this is a bit of a bummer. However, I'm not a stickler for packaging, so I'll await the singles or for a radically low price for the new box.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
While a Bond 50 is nice a Bond 9, collecting the titles not previously released on Blu-ray, would be more appreciated. But one Bond box followed by singles is better than a bunch of mix-and-match boxes, the marketing strategy since DVD. Somehow you always got stuck with A VIEW TO A KILL.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Preorder Bond 50 (due 10/1) at Amazon: $199. At Amazon UK: $139. Clearly the better deal across the pond for Bond unless Amazon drops it.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
I'll wait for the single releases. Like many I'm sure, I already have my "must own" releases except for maybe three remaining. The others I still have on the ultimate DVD collection. So while it is cheap on a per film basis, to sell what i have at a loss to get this is actually not worth it in the long run. And they will come out individually, eventually, they always do.
Plus, i'm not a fan of the packaging. At best, it is just a box holding a bunch of standard blu-ray cases in stacks (e.g., Hulk TV collection). At worst, it is some odd ball arrangement that probably doesn't protect the disks well, or makes it difficult to get them out.

marsnkc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrew
Ronald Epstein said:
Another question....
Between now and October that UK set price could greatly
fluctuate based on the American dollar....correct?
I mean, I would be locked into that price, but the exchange
rate may be greatly varied in 9 months.....yes?
Ron,
On Amazon.UK you can choose to pay in dollars or sterling. The sterling will fluctuate, and your eventual price will be based on the exchange rate on the day they charge your card. Obviously the price is locked if you pay in USD.
Biggest thing to be aware of is how much your credit card company charges for doing the exchange (assuming you choose sterling). I have a couple of different cards that charge 2.5%. By luck I happened on an article about which companies charge what. Capital One were listed as not charging any fee, but they do. However, it's minuscule, something in the region of 0.06%., but people should use caution and check with their bank.
Regarding PAL Blu-rays, in my experience a region locked disc won't play unless you have a universal unit, or install a mod, which I did (thanks to a HTF member mentioning it a few years ago).
Edit to add: AmazonUK charge a fee upfront if you choose to pay in USD. They claim 'the best available rate', but it's still much higher than a card that charges little or none.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I only want YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE, ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE, and DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER to complete a collection of the originating Bond films on Blu-ray. I should not have to buy an entire box-set to get them. Certainly not at that awol price. This is why I lose respect for EON / Danjaq. They are greedy tightwads who squeeze the fans for every half-penny they can get. Still the packaging is nice. Looks good on the shelf. The two Craigs, the Brosnans, and four of the Moores I will never watch.
Obviously, the solution is to buy the box-set used on ebay or amazon marketplace at a significantly lower price. That way, EON / Danjaq doesn't get another penny of my money.

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I preordered both U.S. and U.K. and will see which is cheaper when released and cancel the other. Fox is usually region free but I have a multi-region player, so I'm set. Can't wait!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks