What's new

MGM Announces Robocop SE 6/8 (1 Viewer)

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
I should love to read someone articulate some solid positive critique on Robocop 2. Really.

My own thoughts are, what a vile movie! It's one of the most purposelessly mean movies I've seen, an orgy of absurd violence and cruelty without reason. Verhoeven's first film has several points in it's favour when it goes wickedly over the top, it's either 1) making a point, or serving the story or 2) making us laugh. Robocop 2's attempts at humour are ridiculously heavy handed and without real wit, and also lacking the cleverly layered script and structure of the original, it falls apart badly.

Or maybe I misunderstand the film? And I'm also missing it's cleverly hidden subtleties? :D

Back on topic, I'll wait for the first film to be released on it's own.

Paul Linfesty

Stunt Coordinator

And 1.66 was the projection ration the Chinese Theatre in Hollywood showed it in (which they also did for Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves and Interview With the Vampire).

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
Just wanted to let everyone know that the package art has been revised. The new pack shot is on page one of this thread.

CraigL

Screenwriter
Oh...and I'll let you know what the aspect ratio is projected soon. They're having a showing of it here in NYC next month! :)

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
I'll have to watch my Criterion extras again (couldn't have been all that great; I can't remember them), and then hand-down that and the orginal Robocop 2 and 3 DVD releases to my dad.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know of anything in regards to the color timing of Robocop? The Criterion has a cooler look, where as the MGM is very saturated. Is the current MGM colors director approved?

Jonathan.e

Stunt Coordinator
This is available for pre-order - only $17USD at DVDSoon. Cancels out the bad taste of paying for the third.

Robocop 2 is excellent IMO. Be interesting to see if the upcoming Sin City translates Miller’s ideas to the screen better. I somehow doubt it.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^^ My attitude exactly. So contrary to what I said before, I'm in for this. Like with BTTF, I didn't want 2 & 3, but after re-watching them they grew on me. The movies didn't change, so it must have been me who did...

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
I do admire you for keeping an open mind. However, it's not quite an "apples to apples" comparison. BTTF retained its original creative team (including director Robert Zemeckis) through the trilogy, while Paul Verhoeven bailed after the first Robocop. This would not necessarily mean that the sequels would automatically suck, but it does stack the deck in favor of that possibility.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Man, at $17 I'll consider the sequels to be bonus features! My hats off to MGM for keeping the price down!:emoji_thumbsup:

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Mark: Good point about the directors changing. Offhand, the Aliens sequel is the only sequel I can think of where doing that matched or improved on the original. Not that IMO Verhoeven has never done a stinker himself...

Similarly to the Airport quad, the price is sufficiently low (like for a single movie) that like Russell I'll consider the other movies as bonus features at worst, and they're sure better than most bonus features.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Well, the Bond flicks are stand-alone films, whereas Aliens was a true sequel by a different director. I suppose we have to differentiate between a franchise and a continuing story.

It is pretty tough for me to come up with good sequels by different directors, as opposed to good sequels by the same director, or good "subsequent" episodes in a franchise by different directors.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
You are correct! That was my first thought of a sequel IMO superior to the original: I had *no* idea GL didn't direct it! Not being a big SW nut (but like it), I just assumed GL directed them all.

Magnus T

Supporting Actor
Any new info on how the first Robocop will be mastered though? I sincerely hope they don't use extended branching as they did with the R2 release.

Give me seamless branching or give me nothing!!! :)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Nope - just the first one from the OT.

Personally, I'd add Predator 2 as a superior sequel from a different director. If we're just looking for GOOD sequels from a different director, I'd toss in T3 - not as good as the first two, but surprisingly solid...

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
colin and craig -

you guys know the same guy who directed EMPIRE STRIKES BACK directed ROBOCOP 2, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks