What's new

MGM Announces Robocop SE 6/8 (1 Viewer)

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
since this robocop relate.. there is also a new remastered cd soundtrack for the movie. it features 4 new bonus tracks.
it was released on CD last month. I am talking about the first movie.

JACOB

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

I agree with this, but I might end up picking the set up as I don't own any previous release of Robocop.

Although, 1 of my earlier memories of Robocop was not a good one, I'm flashing back to Robocop's appearance in World Championship Wrestling circa 1990. That was beyond stupid, and yet it didn't kill my interest in seeing the movie.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Well, I could either get the Criterion and spend twice the amount of money it would cost to get the whole trilogy or just go the MGM route. I think I'll go with the trilogy over a used Criterion disc that I'd find on e-bay.

Don't hide, Rob, I liked Robocop 3 as well. But I also didn't shell out movie theater admission -- it was a VHS rental.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
I'm just gonna buy it only for the Special Edition. I'll give parts 2 and 3 to one of my friends.
I'll keep the 'box' of it, though...
AND I hate that sometimes the sequels for the sets get short shrifted!:thumbsdown::angry:

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
If this is like the region 2 edition, it will be a fold out cardboard case.

Who the hell wants 2 and 3? The original is a modern classic, but the sequels just tarnish it.

I have the Criterion and the Australian editions. Best of both worlds.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
That's what I'm saying, Gordon! Even my own nephews want nothing to do with the sequels! They're 13 and 9, fer chrissakes!

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
Very disappointing news. I only have the old
foolscreen laserdisc of the first one, so I was
holding out for a SE from MGM. If we are forced
to buying 2 inferior films to go along with
the first great film, then I'll hold out for a while
longer.:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I hope they dont come in a fold out case:frowning:

Add me to the list who enjoys Robocop2. Ill throw 3 away:)

I have the CC disc, it was one of my first DVDs, but Ill rebuy for a new 16x9 transfer and 5.1 soundtrack.

Im sure BB or CC will have the thing on sale release week, so the price tag will be the same as buying the first 2 discs anyway.

TomWoodward

Second Unit
I'm pretty sure MGM will do the same as they did in the UK. They'll get as many people as possible to buy the trilogy set and then release Robocop on its own a few months later.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
"You said your ninjas' would take care of Robocop for me!" :laugh:

I'll buy the collection, I don't hate 2 & 3 that much. And I'm a sucker for everything with robot ninjas. (yes, I even have a copy of Ninja warriors where your face gets shot-off revealing a robot head).

I hope the new transfer has a nicer video transfer.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Even though I don't agree with and it frustrates me, I see the logic in releasing the 1st film in the box set only, but what in the world is the point of releasing 2 & 3 separately? That's the part that doesn't make sense to me.

At any rate, the $40 retail price is not as bad as it could have been. I have the Criterion of the first film, I really didn't like #2 that much, and I actually never got around to seeing #3 after I heard so much about it. So I dunno.

A side note about those wondering about the extra violence in the director's cut. It only amounts to around a minute of footage, but that small amount pushes the film over the edge into complete satire. The first scene with ED-209 in particular is ridiculuously bloody, and the gag is actually funnier.

Magnus T

Supporting Actor
Uhmmm... this message is for all of you complaining that Robocop SE is only available in the boxset:

IT'S AVAILABLE SEPARATELY IN REGION 3!!!

Will K

Screenwriter
I have the Criterion laserdisc, so this packaging puts me a little on the fence. I thoroughly despise RoboCop 2 and RoboCop 3 was just plain lame. I guess I could ditch the sequels at a used DVD store.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I hate to pick on a whole studio, but overall there's something about DVD issueing and marketing that MGM just doesn't seem to get. Their "special editions" are usually not very special, and their re-releases are sometimes the same transfers as their long-ago version. They change the covers...usually.

I will not buy a SE unless the transfer to the *feature* is a noticeable improvement or maybe a better cut, regardless of extras and bundling of other tertiary stuff. And contrary to somebody else, I consider anamorphic in that category of noticeable improvements, so the Criterion version of the feature is long surpassed and if you like the movie you need a better transfer of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks